Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

I’ve started a Facebook page for Symbiostock. I’m looking for an eps of the Symbiostock logo, if someone can send it to me (the github links aren’t working for me). I also put in a placeholder visual for the page header. I thought it might be nice to have this globe in the background and then rotate in people’s photos/illustrations as tiny thumbnails. It gives an international feel while showcasing work in a format small enough not to be stolen. I just tossed a few of my illustrations in as placeholders.

Let me know what you think. And if anyone has a better idea to make the page look great, please chip in. Please visit the page and like:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Symbiostock/466435486810556?ref=br_tf

We should discuss how the page will “run.” Who will post? How will we determine it? (If everyone posts work every day, it will be overwhelming for clients who like the page).

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

Michele, thank you for taking action on the conversation started in the “declining views” thread over in the SEO column. (anyone interested in catching up on that conversation can see it here http://www.symbiostock.org/topic/163/decrease-of-visitor-numbers/page/5/)

I like the global concept for the header. Only thing that comes to mind for me is perhaps a bit of variety in size on the thumbnails, maybe as if they were rotating around the globe, larger as they come to the front, smaller as they rotate to the back.

A few thoughts on your questions re: how the page will “run”, who will post, etc.

Admin roles:
    [list=*]
    [*]2-3 people with Manager rights – that allows for managing who has access to other admin rights. Good idea to have a few back ups in case anyone drops out or just gets too busy to manage so we don’t lose access to the page[/*]
    [/list]
    [list=*]
    [*]2-3 with Content Creator rights (maybe more). They can post content, moderate comments, etc. Anyone with a desire to create an article can submit to a content creator. We can always add more content creators if we want to.[/*]
    [/list]

Regarding content:
    We should define our target audience so we’re consistent in the direction of our posts.
    Are we targeting only potential buyers or as a secondary audience will we occasionally have posts to attract other experienced stock artists that want to join Symbiostock? What about the occasional post about copyright to address the casual FB fan that may stumble on our page because they like the images?

What type of posts?
    Interviews with Symbiostock members?
    Promote a variety of images on a theme? Seasonal, on trend with news events (elections, economy, healthcare)
    Perhaps a call-to-action asking designers to come back and show us how they used purchased images from a Symbiostock artist.

Facebook recommends posting once a day to keep up interest. That may be a challenge. I have a hard time posting on my own page more than a few times a month. If we can start by posting a few times a week that wold be a good start.

Once we get some content admins can start to “like” other pages as Symbiostock to help spread the word and comment appropriately on pages that may attract buyers back to our page.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@klsbear wrote:

Regarding content:
    We should define our target audience so we’re consistent in the direction of our posts.
    Are we targeting only potential buyers or as a secondary audience will we occasionally have posts to attract other experienced stock artists that want to join Symbiostock? What about the occasional post about copyright to address the casual FB fan that may stumble on our page because they like the images?

i’d like to aim for both buyers and artists — there are a lot of photographers on facebook who don’t use MSG

@klsbear wrote:

What type of posts?
    Interviews with Symbiostock members?
    Promote a variety of images on a theme? Seasonal, on trend with news events (elections, economy, healthcare)
    Perhaps a call-to-action asking designers to come back and show us how they used purchased images from a Symbiostock artist.

one first item should be a short discussion with links to the symbiostock websites

I’ve got a number of blog posts centered at http://cascoly-images.com/pix/sell-your-photography/ that can be used at any time

for the theme pages – the http://symbiostock-search.com results pages can be reformatted to either be posted on facebook as a table, or posted elsewhere and linked from fb

eg http://cascoly.com/trav/money-foreign-currency.asp

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

I like this idea a lot Michele (although I’m not a facebook fan, but I think we should use it for promotion nevertheless), and I fully agree upon the additions of Karen and Steve. Not sure how I can help with that (probably it’s better when native speakers do the admin jobs) but I’m willing to help when I can.
    For example just let me know in which resolution you need sample pics for the world map (which is a great idea btw) and I’ll send some to you.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Thanks everyone, great suggestions. I’ve changed the header and tried to recreate the logo, but don’t have the correct font. I’ve replaced some of my illos with photos from Martha and put one of Leo’s images in the forefront. If anyone would like to have thumbnails up there, just email them to me at theartist@vector999.com. Images that have impact in a very small thumbnail size in a square format work best. Don’t have to be hi-res. 200×200 would be more than large enough. (The box the logo’s in is 180×180.)

I don’t see any problem posting once a day or more. Just introducing a site or two per day (starting with the current list of sites) would take us halfway through the year, plus interviews with the photogs/illustrators/videographers, updates about the number of sites/images, reminders about buying for holidays/seasons and links to various blog posts will be plenty.

I think post #1 should be about Symbiostock itself, and we should announce the page on microstockgroup. Yes? No?

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

What I had initially in mind was that SYS members (all of them) would be able to post their favorite shot of the day/week/month with a little story behind it (why is it a favorite, how was it made etc) and of course linking to the site where it’s available for licensing. This FB picture should be in max FB resolution/size (960px) to make an impact (watermarked, of course).

To avoid getting a lot of spam or low quality material on the page, these posts might go through some kind of admin clearing.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Perhaps that would be a weekly post that all members could reply to with their favorite shot or illo of the week? I think separate psts by 100+ people would clog up the newsfeed and irritate people who like the page.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

That’s why I was preferring the group instead of a page. A page is more dictated while a group is community driven and can easier develop its own momentum.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

If you want to start a group, please do. I don’t want to invite my friends, because I’ve already imposed on them by asking them to like my own Symbiostock page.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Have just liked it (as Janchristie Nail Art) so that might introduce it to some different people

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

Michele, I just mailed some sample pics to you … please feel free to use them as you like for the symbiostock facebook site.

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

I’ve been doing a bit of research into managing a page and here are a few things I’ve learned.

[list=*]
    [*]All Admins have the ability to create content. It looks like those given the role of Content Creator would be posting as the page and if you have the role of Moderator you would be posting as yourself[/*]
    [/list]
    [list=*]
    [*]We have the ability to set it up so posts need to be moderated before becoming visible. This would be one way to make sure we’re not getting post overload with too many in one day[/*]
    [/list]
    [list=*]
    [*]We have the ability to schedule posts with a date and time. If we can approve posts and assign a posting date and time at the same time it would give us a queue of posts and take the pressure off of having to add content daily[/*]
    [/list]
    [list=*]
    [*]We do have the ability to allow or disallow photos in comments so having a call-to-action to post your favorite new image, holiday image, nature image, etc. via a comment reply would be one way to include images from everyone[/*]
    [/list]

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Thanks for the info! I had no idea you could do all that. I think 2 posts per day is what we should shoot for…that’s based on the number of posts from other businesses. Enough to keep us top of mind, not so many as to be annoying.

Thanks for the photos, those who sent them. Still have room for at least a half dozen more. I’m going to hold off updating the header until I have all the files in place.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I would have thought it difficult (and a bit timeconsuming) to gather images and ideas around a topic for the daily posts. Do you think we could create a calendar of people who are willing to post and they do a post on their day. If we have 30 contributors, for instance, I could always post on the 1st of each month and write a short piece about a new image and how/why I took it.

Steve

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@steveh wrote:

I would have thought it difficult (and a bit timeconsuming) to gather images and ideas around a topic for the daily posts. Do you think we could create a calendar of people who are willing to post and they do a post on their day. If we have 30 contributors, for instance, I could always post on the 1st of each month and write a short piece about a new image and how/why I took it.

Steve

if we come up with a list of topics I can fairly easily collect relevant images from sym sites and put them on a page from which they can either be linked or copied

any ideas for initial topics?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.