Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ezeepics
    Ezeepics
    Participant

If you think this is what you have to do you must do in this way 🙂

Profile photo of sandorgora
    sandorgora
    Participant

Good Luck, Leo,
    with your retreat-time;
    use the two months to develop
    and… to take time for rest, life, friends, nature.
    thank you for all your work untill now
    and hear of you in january ’14 again !

Profile photo of pixelsonthego
    pixelsonthego
    Participant

That’s sounds good Leo. I remember an old thread about a final touch instead of adding features. I think that your effort is very, very very great but is also too much stressing and you need to slow down. Take your time and put your effort to refine only this things. Good idea to keep the theme more simple as possible, and to me is important if new developers come on board. Perhaps is it time for Symbiostock to have a board? For the future I think that the best thing for you is to keep update the theme with WP. Also, I’m not you, but probably for you the best thing for the future is to think at modularity, so maybe you can produce plugin for the theme and earn a little bit of deserved money… The base theme as is as is good, specially in conjunction with the premium plugin and don’t need other feature; who want more I think that can pay a little bit.

Profile photo of ShazamImages
    ShazamImages
    Participant

Leo:

I don’t think that is a good direction for you. You should concentrate on how to get others to help develop Symbiostock.

“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”

You need to stop giving everyone fish. The sooner you teach everyone how to fish, the sooner you will be free to do other things.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@shazamimages wrote:

Leo:

I don’t think that is a good direction for you. You should concentrate on how to get others to help develop Symbiostock.

“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”

You need to stop giving everyone fish. The sooner you teach everyone how to fish, the sooner you will be free to do other things.

I see where your coming from – however this is like teaching people calculus directly after addition and subtraction in 1st grade.

This direction I’m taking is going to solve virtually every issue, especially getting new developers.

For instance, instead of Symbiostock having its own cart, its going to use wp-ecommerce, and the upload and image creation process will automatically generate product pages. The advantage here is that you can track sales, use different payment gateways, upgrade, offer video, etc, and best of all, not bother me with bugs 😀 <— thats part a joke.

Rewriting the system to create a codex, translation: Online function documention will be automatically generated, allowing genuine developers to hit the ground running.

Basically, in a nutshell, is that Symbiostock will be about stock, not just images…and simply be a plugin that merges specialized technologies, instead of reinventing each one.

Already my research in this is showing me a way to use WordPress’s uploader to upload to specific folders (also protected) which is superior to the one I’m using already, and support and upgrades are WORDPRESS based, not Symbiostock.

And I’m going to design this in such a way that interdependence between technologies is flexible, meaning its hard to break.

Also the transition will be easy – I’m going to make a converter plugin that will automatically create old Symbiostock image pages to genuine wp-ecommerce pages, without sacrificing any features at all.

Bad idea? Its already appearing to be simpler as well.

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Sounds good, I am happy to hear the new approach, sounds so much different than The End of Symbiostock 🙂

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

Sounds good, I am happy to hear the new approach, sounds so much different than The End of Symbiostock 🙂

Yep. That wasn’t a message any of us wanted or needed to hear. :/

Profile photo of ShazamImages
    ShazamImages
    Participant

@leo wrote:

I see where your coming from – however this is like teaching people calculus directly after addition and subtraction in 1st grade.

Yes, that would probably be true for a large percentage of Symbiostockers, but I would imagine that there are some Symbiostockers that are quite tech savvy and would love to help with the project.

@leo wrote:

For instance, instead of Symbiostock having its own cart, its going to use wp-ecommerce…

FYI: wp-ecommerce doesn’t seem to have that great of a rating (only 2.8 out of 5 stars) and they have received a lot of 1 ratings. Have you checked out WooCommerce (http://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce/) or Ready-ecomerce (http://wordpress.org/plugins/ready-ecommerce/). They seem to have higher ratings (4.1 out of 5 stars and 4.7 out of 5 stars respectively). I don’t know much about either, I just thought that I would throw that out there.

In addition, the more plugins that are used in Symbiostock, the higher the risk that upgrades to PHP, WordPress, the Symbiostock theme, plugins, etc will make something break. And people seem to always want to upgrade to the latest and “greatest” for some reason.

Please don’t take this the wrong way. I would love to see a lot of the things that you are talking about become a part of Symbiostock (especially a cart without registration). I just would hate for you to spend a few months rewriting the code, only to have people yelling at you that something is broken after it is all said and done.

Blessings.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.