Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lusoimages
    Lusoimages
    Participant

I’ve just conducted a few searches on my website and in the symbiostock page and I’ve detected something that got me worried.

I’ve noticed that when a keyword is composed by two words it’s ignored by the search.

I have some images of garden snails that had as a keyword “garden snail” and also “snail”. When I searched by “garden snail” no result came up, but as snail they were found. I’ve deducted that since I did not have “garden” as a separated keyword the search was ignoring the term “garden snail”

The same happened to “bike helmet”, where I only had helmet.

After I added “garden” in the snail images and “bike” to the helmet bot came up in the searches.

Now, I find this a serious issue because many keywords are in fact composed of two words, and many times I believe many of us don’t add both words separately because one of the words alone may not make sense and we can get an image rejected because of keyword spam.

As this been detected previously?, Is this supposed to work like this? I think I’ll have a huge amount of images that will become invisible to extremely relevant searches because of this issue and going through all of them and check is a nightmare.

Can the searched be updated to consider keywords composed by more than one word?

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

The premium plugin replaces the basic wordpress search with an improved one which handles multi-word keywords correctly:

http://www.symbiostock.com/products-page/upgrades-and-plugins/premium-upgrade/

I think with the regular search that you get the correct results only with quotes around the search term (but I’m not certain of that and you already added separate keywords on your snails – do you have some other files you can test that with?)

Lusoimages
    Participant

You may test with this one:
    http://stockphotosart.com/image/jack-in-the-box-toy-isolated-on-a-white-background/

Typing “jack in the box” or “jack in a box”, with or without quotes doesn’t bring the images with these keywords.

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

You need the premium plugin for that, or separate all compound keywords into single keywords. But you also need to purchase the Symbo Labs plugin for that.

Premium cost 75 dollar, Symbio Lab cost 30 dollar. Just one note, splitting up your compound keywords will create spam. I.e. “jack in a box” will change to “Jack”, “in”, “a”, “box”

The premium version might be the best option as it also has other cool features such as a batch editor.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Yeah, for the record its not an upsell scam 😀 WordPress’s internal search is extremely limited, and the custom search premium feature was a huge implementation to build

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

on http://symbiostock-search.com garden snail finds your images as either the phrase or as separate words

on my site I don’t normally use double word keywords unless the individual words wouldn’t apply – so ‘common loon’, or ‘national park’ or ‘Bryce Canyon’ (since not all pix would necessarily show a canyon)

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

@cascoly wrote:

on http://symbiostock-search.com garden snail finds your images as either the phrase or as separate words

That’s because he made edits to include the individual keywords.

And you’re right, quotes don’t help with the standard wordpress search

Lusoimages
    Participant

Thanks for all your replies.

I’ll have to see the premium plugin in the near future. Unfortunately it’s impossible for me to afford it for the moment.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.