Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Aside from some relevancy tweaking, we’ve now implemented an additional algorithm that will prioritize showing results from as many different sites as possible while still maintaining relevancy. This reduces the impact individual sites will have by having a lot more images, and/or a lot more keywording, and will likewise increase the impact even 5 image sites have.

Just like stock sites, however, keywording your titles, descriptions and tags accurately will provide the best results.

Profile photo of antony
    antony
    Participant

What would you recommend Robin regarding keywords.

The stock sites do vary in the amount of keywords they allow from Alamy with priority keywords, less important keywords and so on to Getty images with a maximum of 25.

Could you give us Symbiostockers a rough figure of what u think is reasonable so we could all try and stick to that in future for symzio networking purposes.

NomadicImagery

Stock photo | unique travel | documentary | culture | festivals

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

I’m modeling pretty much everything off Shutterstock since they are the market leader. I may tweak certain things here and there, but other than that I’ll probably stay tight lipped about the actual algorithm so people can’t game it (or at least, to minimize gaming it).

Therefore, titles that are too long will get truncated, descriptions that are too long will get truncated, and too many tags will get truncated. As for tags, I’m following the SS limit of 50 for now. However, all this is going to change as I get a chance to see how the results are panning out, and how the relevancy is working.

By truncated, that means that it will only register a limited length of the title to a certain limit, as with descriptions. However, there is no priority order, so it doesn’t matter if a keyword is first or last.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

That makes sense. For me, I’m not really altering the tags when I upload my images – and so what went into Shutterstock and the others also goes into my personal site. I do sometimes alter the description to make it richer in detail, but that is all.

So please don’t introduce anything that assumes we have time to change our tagging approaches specifically for Symbiostock sites.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Most definitely not. The goal, from the start, is to minimize your work.

The only thing that may become relevant in the future is the ‘rating’ tag, which will become important once people with more racy images want to syndicate.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.