Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of THPStock
    THPStock
    Participant

Hey Robin,

Like many others, I am busy uploading new images to my site to get through my backlog of a few thousand photos and vectors, before I can start adding new content. But adding say 1,000 images at once isn’t very good at all for SEO purposes, as Google would much prefer constant new content than one big block of it and then nothing.

I love that Symbio can auto-publish new images that I upload, but I wonder if it would be possible to add the feature to schedule the publishing of these, instead of immediate publishing? For instance, it would be fantastic if you could set in Symbio settings for the site to publish X amount of images per day, or even better yet, a different amount for any day of the week – say 5 on weekdays, 2 on weekends. That way you are getting constant, fresh content for Google and for buyers. Of course, you would need the ability to override that and just publish immediately if the user wanted to.

Just thought this suggestion might be useful for the whole community if it could be implemented into Symbio’s settings….It would be a big win for SEO/Google.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

A really fantastic idea – I will look into it soon and maybe get a release out later today with some mechanism.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

2.1.10 now equips limiting the amount of media processed every weekday and every weekend day.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Good idea. But don’t you have to manually edit them anyway to apply settings for categories, releases etc?

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I think the update 2.1.10 with the “Limit Processing” option needs explanation. I’ve tested it and found out that if you have set any values other than ‘blank’ or ‘0’ the processor will not only limit the the auto publishing but the entire image processing. Which means even if you have the auto publishing feature disabled, your images won’t appear under “Symbiostock -> Media” once the daily limit has been reached. The files will remain untouched in your FTP folder until there are new processing capacities.

THPStock
    Participant

Good idea. But don’t you have to manually edit them anyway to apply settings for categories, releases etc?

Yes but not having a category doesn’t mean a buyer won’t find it and buy it coming from Google. Its just a nice little extra. So if I can get my images auto published on a schedule that will keep me AND Google happy, then I can go add categories at my leisure.

THPStock
    Participant

Robin, I am so impressed how quickly you implemented this feature for us! Amazing. As Redneck suggests, could you provide some documentation for it so we get it working properly?

Also, how does this feature (if at all) interact with the cron job for image processing? Do you still recommend having the cron job setup every minute? It seems excessive. Wouldn’t every hour or two be enough? I might be missing something…

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

It is actually very simple – it controls how many images are processed every day. Auto-publishing is applied after the images are processed, so there is no way to control that specifically (at least not right now).

So this is mainly only useful if a majority of your images are auto-published. If most aren’t, then this will just limit how many images get processed on a daily basis.

I may look into controlling the actual auto-publishing number, but this will be a lot more tricky.

As for the cron job – you should run it once a minute, all the time. It manages what gets done when, so you don’t have to worry about it overloading your server. And yes, this directly works with the cron job to limit how many images get processed on a daily basis.

Just remember that the cron job does a lot of work – processing images is only one small thing it does.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

The only other option I can see is to disable auto-publishing after the limit has been reached, but still process images but leave them as drafts. I thought it would be better to just not process them altogether rather than do that, because that would force you to manually have to publish them later then.

THPStock
    Participant

The only other option I can see is to disable auto-publishing after the limit has been reached, but still process images but leave them as drafts. I thought it would be better to just not process them altogether rather than do that, because that would force you to manually have to publish them later then.

No i wouldn’t like it this way either, I think your current setup is good.

Thanks for the explanation, ill get that cron job setup then…

THPStock
    Participant

Oh one more Q – does it process them in the order they are uploaded (e.g.: data & time)? Or random?  Or alphabetically?

Order uploaded would be nice…

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Let me look into changing this so it definitely does it by date. Right now it’s supposed to do that but relies on the filesystem to sort it which isn’t always reliable.

THPStock
    Participant
    Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Tim – one question – are you planning to join Symzio? Would love to have you in on the effort.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

2.1.11 definitively sorts files by upload date for processing now. It will always process the oldest media first.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.