Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Walt Payne
    Walt Payne
    Participant

I don’t know how much work would be involved, or if it is even possible but it seems to me that the “Related Products” should be ones from the same product category, if one is assigned.  It looks like it is basing the selection on keywords, probably the first one.  Since keywords get put in alphabetical order, this does not even use the most relevant one(s).

Same with the Symzio Widget, but since categories are not going to be relevant here I am not sure how to make the images here more related unless a search is done. I think much of the discrepancy may be a lack of related pics on other linked sites at this time, since searches provide related images in some instances and totally random ones in others.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Walt,

The related products results for your Symbiostock site will get more relevant after a day because it takes about a day to index your products. Similarly, after you add a new product, it will take a day for it to be added to your related products index. It uses all information, including the titles, descriptions, and keywords to determine the most relevant products.

As for Symzio, it is based on page text, so the more keywords, description, and title data you have, the more relevant that will become. However we are always improving the Symzio algorithm, so we’ll take what you’ve said into account.

Profile photo of Walt Payne
    Walt Payne
    Participant

Thanks Robin.

It is good to know that it will be more relevant. I do think the assigned category should be included, and highly weighted if present. There are some keywords and descriptors that get used that could greatly help establish relevance, but others would just confuse the issue. One example is that I have a lot of nature pictures. There is significant overlap in keywords between sunrise/sunset image keywords and butterfly pictures (compared to most categories) so those seem to get grouped together so far. Maybe that will improve, but including the category would definitely help. I know you have a lot going on, but if you get a chance ….

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

It’s quite difficult actually to alter this aspect of the engine because it’s run by WooCommerce in a really bad way, so altering it is already difficult enough.

But we’ll look into seeing if we can make categorical relevancy prominent.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.