Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

A tiny option I thought of tonight, while uploading a few vectors of mine, is to have the search slot with the pull down menu to search images or blogs have an option to search “all” and also “Vectors” only like for Images or blog posts.

Just thinking ahead for a mixed site like mine someone who is strictly looking for vectors would be annoyed having Jpegs in the search mix.

Jo

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

I don’t think it should be implemented in the basic search like “blog-images-vectors”.. I turn the blog off anyway.. I like simplicity.. one search for all 🙂

but there could be an advanced search in the future which includes many options along with this one.. or an advanced search feature that allows searching only certain categories?

all that said, I think there are many more issues before this and there is only one Leo.. the guy needs a rest after all.. 😀

JoRodrigues
    Participant

@cidepix wrote:

I don’t think it should be implemented in the basic search like “blog-images-vectors”.. I turn the blog off anyway.. I like simplicity.. one search for all 🙂

but there could be an advanced search in the future which includes many options along with this one.. or an advanced search feature that allows searching only certain categories?

all that said, I think there are many more issues before this and there is only one Leo.. the guy needs a rest after all.. 😀

That is why I said it was an option for the future. It takes adding a couple of lines of variables into the code. By default the code already indexes everything anyway. The only option needed is to isolate vectors for people who have different media on their sites.

When you are working on a project it is good to have an idea of quick and easy changes that can be implemented at such time as he is working on that segment of the coding. Asking him in 6 months time is kind of pointless when he may be working on it tomorrow.

Options are there for those that need it. Within reason one makes it easy for the client to locate what they are searching for. Not more difficult. Just because you see no use for it on your site doesn’t mean it should not be implemented. There is no point in limitation.

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

it should definitely be implemented at some point..

just thought it could be better if it’s implemented as part of a big search overhaul as an “advanced search” is needed anyway..

there are many more needs about the search and I am sure it will be looked at, at some point again.. like sorting by date, downloads, views.. or sorting by price etc.. I am not against any of these, and not against your suggestions.. all I said was: bugs are priority 🙂

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

You could create a Vector category and have it in your navigation bar ?

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

JoRodrigues
    Participant

Yes I could and I have a Vector category. If I have 1000 vectors then they will all show up on many pages all jumbled. So if you want a vector you will just abandon looking for one.

Think of the same with photographs. You could just have a category with “Images” in it instead of search area but it wouldn’t be very useful.

As I have said it is not top priority as I haven’t had time to make many vectors. It’s not urgent just a feature since the theme is set up to sell both vectors and jpegs. It could at the same time be expanded with a search option for “collections” since Leo likes that model of selling.

Many first time site owners make the mistake of setting up “their” site. If you put up a commercial site it is the “Buyers” site. The site is there not for the author’s ego, although that is often the case. If you want to get people to find and buy stuff from you, you MUST think of the best way to deliver that service. This is why our shopping cart is being remodelled to avoid confusion.

This isn’t a bug or urgent. It’s just a suggestion which has great commercial value for mixed media sites.

Profile photo of dianajo
    dianajo
    Participant

A category search would be nice too, in case someone knows they’re looking for a “Man” they can nav to the “Men” cat and search for construction or doctor within the category.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.