Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Hi all I am actively working on the .com site and I think perhaps the current logo needs a rework. I really like the logo but it seems to have a bit of an unfortunate historic hint to it that a few have already started to comment on.

I was throwing around the idea of running a contest and offering a pretty cool prize to the winner. How do you all feel about the idea of a contest? I can hire someone to do it for us but I kind of thought it might be nice to see what the community has to offer. I would love to hear some feedback. Thanks everyone. There are no solid plans now, just a simple thought thrown out to the participants of the project.

Regarding the original logo:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58&hilit=symbiostock+logo

Generally the entire Symbiostock rebrand that occurs with the launch of the perminant symbiostock.com design will be based largely on what you see in this symbiostock.org forum:

Clean, flat, simple. Happy. Quite possibly just one color. Literally, someone inspired could probably do it in less than an hour! 😀

I’d like to say also that given time I could easily do this myself, having a lot of experience in these things. But I feel its best to somehow let this evolve from the project itself.

Profile photo of Chromaco
    Chromaco
    Participant

I think a reworked logo probably is not a bad idea. The current one is nice but it has been mentioned a number of times about the unfortunate similarities to something not so pleasant. I like the idea of a contest too. There are some pretty talented people in this group. I’ll probably take a shot at creating something.

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

I think your reasoning is solid and a re-branding could be beneficial. Good idea to do it now rather than later.

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

@leo wrote:

Hi all I am actively working on the .com site and I think perhaps the current logo needs a rework. I really like the logo but it seems to have a bit of an unfortunate historic hint to it that a few have already started to comment on.

I like the actual logo, I wonder what people have said against it. Is there some thread to read about it?

@leo wrote:

I was throwing around the idea of running a contest and offering a pretty cool prize to the winner. How do you all feel about the idea of a contest? I can hire someone to do it for us but I kind of thought it might be nice to see what the community has to offer. I would love to hear some feedback. Thanks everyone. There are no solid plans now, just a simple thought thrown out to the participants of the project.

IMHO, instead of spending money in prize, you would use it to create a logo project on sites (crowdsourced creative services) like CrowdSpring or 99designs, so this way you hire professionals and also if somebody from the community has something to offer can join the logo project and maybe be the winner of the budget.

Well, just a feedback. ;0)

Have a nice weekend.

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

I like the idea (also the idea of a clean and happy .com site with perhaps only one color).
    Actually it was yesterday evening when I checked this forum in a (German) bar and while I did I thought that hopefully noone around would see the logo and misunderstand it. But as I mentioned earlier I feel that the current logo is especially promblematic when used in a color scheme of black, red and white like on .info.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

People tend to get excited over logos and branding, but I think its most important to have something simple that works.

The SS has been suggested to be a Nazi symbol (Wow! N-A-Z-I is sensored!), in light of some of the accusations put toward this project, I thought it might be good to get rid of anything that could be misconstrued that way.

The logo on http://www.symbiostock.net/ is a good start in the right direction (opinion of course) but the loonnggg word symbiostock can be challenging to work with in space confinements.

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

@leo wrote:

People tend to get excited over logos and branding, but I think its most important to have something simple that works.

The SS has been suggested to be a *bad word!* symbol (Wow! N-A-Z-I is sensored!), in light of some of the accusations put toward this project, I thought it might be good to get rid of anything that could be misconstrued that way.

The logo on http://www.symbiostock.net/ is a good start in the right direction (opinion of course) but the loonnggg word symbiostock can be challenging to work with in space confinements.

When I said something about it last year I talked about my associations … it was never ment as an accusations toward this project or you, Leo. I hope you didn’t understand my words that way.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@jsfoto wrote:

@leo wrote:

The SS has been suggested to be a *bad word!* symbol (Wow! N-A-Z-I is sensored!), in light of some of the accusations put toward this project, I thought it might be good to get rid of anything that could be misconstrued that way.

When I said something about it last year I talked about my associations … it was never ment as an accusations toward this project or you, Leo. I hope you didn’t understand my words that way.

No not at all! I don’t even recall your words. Your one of those wonderful and objective people that bring so much to this.

A few times its been remarked that it looks like a Nazi symbol, and it never bothered me too much. However since Cathy had so aggressively attacked this whole project I decided it might be good to rearrange things so vindictive people do not have fuel to start their fires. I’m rather glad her attack happened sooner than later — better to refine things while its still small.

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

@leo wrote:

I Agree. And remind it isn’t just a draw. It has to have a meaning, a creation defense. :0) See for example the defense for the Logo I’ve created for my Symbiostock site:
    ArquivosCriativos – Logo

Another logos I’ve created for my own site:
    EsferaDoBem – Logo

@leo wrote:

Ahhh, now I see what you meant. Thanks.

@leo wrote:

I agree, something related to network. By Googling “Network logo” images, you also have a great references.

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

Here goes just a quick rough suggestion:
    [attachment=0:1hal9mjl]Symlogo_rough.jpg[/attachment:1hal9mjl]

Defense:
    The symbol represents the iris (aperture) of a photo/video camera and the dots around represents heads, so together seems a half waist person icon in a group creating a network. So, in sum a photographers network! ;0)

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Thats an interesting direction to take. It reminds me of the ubuntu logo:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+logo&client=ubuntu&hs=iYc&channel=fs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=kCn_Uum0H4aIogTr04GQBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1615&bih=960

Such an idea underscores the open source aspect of it too.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

I like the idea of a new logo as well, since the current one does unfortunately have bad connotations for many Europeans and many potential buyers in the New York area (and other places as well).

I also like the idea of asking people here to contribute ideas. I personally don’t like those crowdsourced contests, because you’re asking the majority of people to work for free (yes, we’d also be working for free, but in our case it’s a labor of love).

Anyhoo, just one opinion.

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

@shelma1 wrote:

… I personally don’t like those crowdsourced contests, because you’re asking the majority of people to work for free …

Actually I didn’t mean crowdsource contests, but creative crowdsource, where the winner will be paid. So, who post a project says for example: I offer $800.00 to create a logo. Then people (crowd) start to send the ideas/logos. One will be the winner and will receive the “$800.00”.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

I know. The other people who worked on logos and entered the contest won’t be paid.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

No worries (as they say on the islands) these are just ideas.

Right now I’m working on the logo myself, so it might be that simple 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.