Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

I really like our present forum – simple, minimal, easy on the eyes. However something more extensive may be needed eventually — for instance the spam control on this version seems to be a little overzealous.

Here’s the next step up: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php

Yes, no?

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

For me you dont have to switch forums. Is that spam thing built in and unadjustable?

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

For me you dont have to switch forums. Is that spam thing built in and unadjustable?

No, I chose this forum engine due to how simple and vibrant it was. Sadly its not packed full of features, and not widely supported.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Thats MSG style. For me it doesnt matter much what forum you choose really. I think this one is fine, only the spam thing is superannoying.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

Thats MSG style. For me it doesnt matter much what forum you choose really. I think this one is fine, only the spam thing is superannoying.

Are you sure your not a closet spammer? I thought I saw some Semmickphoto meatball recipes being blasted into my mailbox a few months ago. it might just be recognizing your IP address.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Providing we don’t have to have adverts I don’t care, will we lose all the existing messages?

I used YaBB for the forum I ran.

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

All this forum content is valuable – I’d be sure to use a proper exporter. I don’t even have analytics tied to this forum, but I suspect its doing well for google / symbio searches as well.

I’ll noodle it a while and consider the above pole and make a decision.

Profile photo of ajt
    ajt
    Participant

@leo wrote:

Here’s the next step up: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php

Wow, I followed this link and discovered, that I had account there, and even could log in, first time since 2007 🙂
    I used simplemachines for some time and it was ok. Much more functions for admins and moderators.
    There is a converter from punbb available, so we (you) can move up any time without problems (I hope so) 🙂

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

@leo wrote:

@Semmick Photo wrote:

Are you sure your not a closet spammer? I thought I saw some Semmickphoto meatball recipes being blasted into my mailbox a few months ago. it might just be recognizing your IP address.

Not sure what you are implying there, but the meatball images were shot in October, not months ago. If you think I am sending spam, I have to disappoint you, but I can ask my BIL to send you the real recipe if you want? 🙂

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

The current forum is perfectly fine for now and I love how slim and fast it is. All I miss at the moment is “Personal Messages”.
    However, thinking about what will probably come in the future (thousands of new members and the need to keep them under control ;)), it’s probably better to make he switch now than later.

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

@redneck wrote:

The current forum is perfectly fine for now and I love how slim and fast it is. All I miss at the moment is “Personal Messages”.
    However, thinking about what will probably come in the future (thousands of new members and the need to keep them under control ;)), it’s probably better to make he switch now than later.

Yeap!

If the switch is going to be made sooner or later, then why not now.. 🙂

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I voted yes for a couple of reasons.

It does look like MSG’s base and there are a number of extremely useful features there that I’ve come to really miss when I’m on a forum that doesn’t have them.

1) A home (new posts) button both top and bottom of each page. Seems like a small thing, but if you’re at all active in a forum it’s a biggie, IMO

2) TapaTalk support – this is a mobile app that makes keeping up with forum posts when not at a desk so much easier than using a browser

3) The “ignore” button 🙂

4) Personal messages that don’t involve e-mail addresses being exchanged. I don’t mind given the current situation where we’re all developing sites, but if the audience got broader, I want to be able to offer forum help without giving out my e-mail address to people I don’t know at all.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

@leo wrote:

@Semmick Photo wrote:

Not sure what you are implying there, but the meatball images were shot in October, not months ago. If you think I am sending spam, I have to disappoint you, but I can ask my BIL to send you the real recipe if you want? 🙂

This was totally a joke! The meatball recipe thing was supposed to be funny. But I was also very tired yesterday, and when I’m very very tired, things seem funny to me that in afterthought aren’t funny. Sorry. I know your not a spammer!

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

I’ll get this launched soon and see if I can’t get accounts and posts to transfer.

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

I love meatballs! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.