Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of peresanz
    peresanz
    Participant

I launched and announced my site last week and have been looking for matching portfolios since. My main subjects are landscape, travel, architecture and astronomy. I’ve seen lots of wonderful sites strong on some of these categories but they appear to have their network completed without free slots. I could have linked to these sites but of course I would like to be linked too, that’s the game, right? It appears that during the first bump of new sites, in the early times of symbiostock, they where growing strongly at a constant ratio and everybody built up their network mainly linking one to each other in such a way that new sites created recently may have a hard time in finding sites to exchange links with.

I have not checked ALL the sites so if anyone finds that his portfolio would make a good complement with mine, please let me know.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

There are new people joining all the time – take a look at Cascoly’s site to see who links to who and who has spare spaces. If you add some to your network they will get an automated email from you (usually) to let them know you have linked. I have reciprocal links to some people and one way to others, as they do to me.

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

I just relaunched an overhauled version of my site http://www.imagoborealis.com and have still a few open network slots. If you think my aurora borealis, yukon landscape, travel, etc. images would be a good match for your stunning astronomy photos please fill a slot. I just did the same for you :D.

peresanz
    Participant

Christine,
    Now there are 167 sites on Symbiostock if I remember well. One month ago, when I started the design of my site, there where one hundred sixtysomething, so only a few new sites have joined in the last couple of months. The growing curve of symbiostock is reducing the slope it had at the beginning and will trend to flat in time, it cannot grow forever and will trend to st6abilize at a certain point with sporadical new sites joining in. So my point is that the way the network is designed penalizes the newcomers who have a lot of sites to link to but very few options to be linked from. It reminds me of a pyramidal club where the later you get in, the harder you get results, so to speak.

peresanz
    Participant

@Imago Borealis wrote:

I just relaunched an overhauled version of my site http://www.imagoborealis.com and have still a few open network slots. If you think my aurora borealis, yukon landscape, travel, etc. images would be a good match for your stunning astronomy photos please fill a slot. I just did the same for you :D.

Stunning images! My local astronomical club organized in the past an expedition to Scandinavia to capture auroras but I missed it. I hope i can go some day in the future. It’s in my ‘to do sometime’ list 🙂

Sure I will link you back. Thanks!

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Why not get in touch with the owners of the sites you like directly? It’s always possible they’ll find your site a better match than what they have now and will bump another site to add yours.

peresanz
    Participant

Thank you Shelma1. Yes, I will contact owners and will link to sites I like and hopefully I will get some links back, but please don’t misunderstand me. I’m not complaining about my particular case, I just wanted to point out that the current network scheme may lead to a compact structure which can make it difficult for a new site to build a healthy network.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

I know…I’ve also pointed out that already successful site owners who started the network have probably all linked to each other, sending each other traffic…while those of us who are new must work harder to generate traffic to our sites.

Imago Borealis
    Participant

At this point I don’t think traffic is much of an issue. At least on my site besides (google) bots I don’t see much traffic coming from sites that link to me. However, I think the SEO impact of having my site networked is quite remarkable. Of course, I’d like to see the inter-network traffic (from humans) increase big time 😉 . Thank you, Shelma1 and others, who are doing a great job promoting the network as a whole 😀 .

Profile photo of ShazamImages
    ShazamImages
    Participant

It would be great if someone could figure out how to increase the network from 10 to 15 or 20. Then Leo could add the changes into a future update.

Imago Borealis
    Participant

@shazamimages wrote:

It would be great if someone could figure out how to increase the network from 10 to 15 or 20. Then Leo could add the changes into a future update.

+1 – I second that ❗

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@peresanz wrote:

Christine,
    Now there are 167 sites on Symbiostock if I remember well. One month ago, when I started the design of my site, there where one hundred sixtysomething, so only a few new sites have joined in the last couple of months. The growing curve of symbiostock is reducing the slope it had at the beginning and will trend to flat in time, it cannot grow forever and will trend to st6abilize at a certain point with sporadical new sites joining in. So my point is that the way the network is designed penalizes the newcomers who have a lot of sites to link to but very few options to be linked from. It reminds me of a pyramidal club where the later you get in, the harder you get results, so to speak.

first, while symbio growth has leveled off a little http://cascoly.com/symbio/symbiostock-network-growth.asp this is a slow time of year; over the last year it’s maintained a surprisingly constant rate of growth and that should continue for some time

while I’d favor an increase to15 or more sites, the limit of 10 actually ENCOURAGES links to new sites rather than any pyramid type action — since established sites already have their 10 links, new sites will be looking for other new sites to link to — right now, only 844 of a possible 1670 network slots are filled — http://cascoly.com/symbio/list.asp?list=61 and many sites have only a few links

also take a look at http://cascoly.com/symbio/symbiostock-gephi.asp which shows a very distributed network that’s actually difficult to display since there aren’t any clusters or cliques

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

Hi folks, I’m just starting my SYM site at http://www.arquivoscriativos.com.br, and I wonder when you guys search for SYM community/people/SYM site to exchange links, do you guys look for the same content? Does it matter? How does it work?

How is the best way to create a network?

Thanks.

peresanz
    Participant

Hi Lucato,

I posted the same question somewhere and found that there are different approaches. Some people link to sites with similar contents while others look for sites with different complementary images. As long as we can link to up to 10 sites, my choice is to mix similar contents sites with complementary ones (still building my network). If someone searches for `potato’ on my site he will get 0 results and if my partner sites in my network all have images similar to mine it’s very likely that they will provide also 0 results, so it makes sense to link to sites with very different content to avoid discouraging the potential customer that is searching in my site with 0 results.

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

@peresanz wrote:

Hi Lucato,

I posted the same question somewhere and found that there are different approaches. Some people link to sites with similar contents while others look for sites with different complementary images. As long as we can link to up to 10 sites, my choice is to mix similar contents sites with complementary ones (still building my network). If someone searches for `potato’ on my site he will get 0 results and if my partner sites in my network all have images similar to mine it’s very likely that they will provide also 0 results, so it makes sense to link to sites with very different content to avoid discouraging the potential customer that is searching in my site with 0 results.

Hi Peresanz, thanks for your reply. Just one more doubt. The people in my network will have their images shown in my site only when gets no results in my site or will their images shows up anyway in my single page image or my results page image?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.