Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LesPalenik
    LesPalenik
    Participant

“I’m recommending everyone contact their web-host to install it or consider moving their media store to a host that does”.

Well meant, but a little bit naive. I sent such a request 2 years ago to my host, but that’s not on their agenda. As of now, I can’t use Inmagick.

Another item. I find the forum format very impractical and wasteful in terms of space. Is it possible to switch to another forum program, with more condensed posts – something similar to msg or other conventional forums?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Based on my workload, I think the forum will suffice for quite some time and will likely not be ported to an entirely new system.

As for Imagick, Symbiostock is made to be cutting edge in every single manner, and this necessitates forcing some systems to change. I can help anyone with issues regarding it to the extent I can, but other than offering one of the cheapest WordPress hosting solutions available for people in your situation, there is not much else I can do.

Profile photo of Jacob
    Jacob
    Participant

I have the same problem, there seem to be no web-host (other than you) that has the Imagic PHP module activated/installed. However some web-hosts have the Image Magick application installed. I guess it would be impossible for you to add functionality with exec(); and the function “convert” or similar. This would maybe allow excecution of the Image Magick application directly rather than through the Imagic PHP module?

I also wonder if it is possible to exclude/override the Imagic PHP functionality completely in your plugin? I was thinking that all image-sizing could be done manually prior to upload and thereby making the function unnecessary. But of course if part of the function is to extract other data, such as IPTC, EXIF etc I guess the whole wonderful idea behind the plugin would get lost!

But please give it a thought!

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Jacob,

Good points! Some people are able to use it with their web hosts while others are not. The exec idea is a good one, and I may look into that in the future.

GD can resize JPEGs and PNGs and GIFs, but that’s about it. So that’s where I mentioned its limitations. As for forcing people to resize images themselves, that really won’t work due to how the licensing and sales system works.

In the new Symbiostock, you can set the pixel size for your licenses. So say you want to sell a small JPEG and limit the size to 400×300. You set that, and then when a customer buys that license, it resizes your original image in real time for them to download it. The system just does not cater to storing different sizes of the main image.

Again, I do apologize about the Imagick issues, but it was something that allowed a lot of functionality to be written in efficiently and as we don’t have 5 guys devoted to programming, we can’t necessarily code for every system.

Profile photo of Guy
    Guy
    Participant

Hello, I have the same problem, my host company sent me this message:

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; background-color: #e0e9df;”>I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused to you. We have ImageMagick binaries. But it is not complied to PHP so IMAGICK won’t work. So, you will not be able to use IMAGICK as PHP built-in class. You have to use the alternative ‘convert’ utility. The path which need to be used in Imagemagick is /usr/bin/resize and /usr/local/bin/convert . You can contact your plugin vendor with the above information and let us know if you have further queries. </span>

Can you Help? I really want to use your service!

….also there are a few ‘Imagik’ plugins on wordpress’ store, I tried installing one of them but it doesn’t make a difference, could you make symbiostock compatible with one of them,

Thanks

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Guy!

Porting Symbiostock so that it can use Imagick binaries is on the list, but this is not something that will be done for quite some time (months). It basically involves recoding a large number of functionalities in the core of Symbiostock, and doing this along with sufficient testing for a release is a large endeavor.

The WordPress plugins you see do not install Imagick – what they do is alter WordPress so that instead of using the built in GD library to resize images and what not, they use Imagick as Imagick is superior in quality and speed.

The only way for Imagick to be installed on your server is through the Linux distribution – it cannot be ported as a standalone application with a plugin.

The best alternative I can suggest, which is not me promoting a paid service we offer, but rather offering you an economical option, is our PLUS services. We have many artists already using it and along with not having to setup the scheduler and dealing with these Imagick issues, you will have access to bonus features such as our free agency submission tool. Also, once video is added to Symbiostock, it will first be run on the PLUS servers.

Again, I wish there was some way to easily rectify the issue with Imagick, but given the limited development resources we have, we have to dedicate them to very specific tasks in a specific order. Right now it is video and the upcoming Symzio that is being prioritized.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Profile photo of Guy
    Guy
    Participant

Thanks,

I will consider your service but I have already subscribed to a year with my current hosting company,

Can you let me know if and when you do get around to adding the binary system!

cheers,

Guy

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Guy,

We put out newsletters with big additions, so you will definitely get word once we have that addition enabled.

Thanks buddy.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

For all those who voiced their problem here, Symbiostock 1.3 now works without Imagick.

Profile photo of Guy
    Guy
    Participant

Thank you very much !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.