Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I have made some changes in Yoast SEO to improve the various metadata information, but when I checked how my images were looking on Symzio, it appears that they have all vanished (from the search at least). Those two things may be totally unrelated, but I mention it just in case.

Anyone seeing the same issue?

Edit: I also updated to the latest symbio plugin. Do I need to set “include all media” again? I notice that it is not checked.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Just a guess, your images probably disappeared because every one of your image pages have gotten a new name (meta title). I’d run the “include all media” again to submit the new names.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Steve,

As I was explaining to Henri (who recently joined Symzio), the system has been organized to carry millions of images. Accordingly, it has a large number of processes that systematically work in the background to maintain the integrity of the search – most importantly, to ensure that if a contributor’s images are no longer available, the site does not serve those results.

At the same time, it also spiders contributor sites quite quickly to add fresh content very fast.

One of the processes that works in the background is a ‘quick-ping’ system: it very quickly pings contributor sites to ensure it is online. This is a shallow screen to quickly disable sites that may be offline, if even temporarily. It does not react to the ping on the first go – but if the site is down for more than one consecutive ping, it disables all media from that site.

Once the site is back up, the system naturally re-enables all the media.

Important things to note:

1) This whole process does NOT affect your media URLs, or their position in the search results.

2) Changing any meta data on your images, including titles, descriptions or tags, will NOT result in them being removed from the search results.

My guess is, while you were updating, or as you uploaded some code, your site was temporarily inaccessible for a few minutes. It was bad timing that the quick pings checked your site in that time. However, nothing huge is lost as your images will all be back soon – over half are back already.

The reason it is so strict and abrupt is that unlike agencies, everything, and I mean everything, depends on contributor sites being online. On contributor sites the widget will show broken images, on search results we’ll get broken images – even customer purchases won’t be able to finish because we don’t store your original and extract that in real time when generating orders.

It’s one of those necessary things that makes us different from agencies, and puts increased responsibility on the contributor. I wouldn’t worry too much about it though – we’ll tweak these things as time progresses to make the process smarter if possible.

Finally, for SEO purposes, Google does not care if content goes down temporarily. It won’t harm the ranking of your images in Google unless your site goes down quite often.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Hi Robin

Good to know I don’t have to repeat the process. I wonder if your pings are a little too close together (or if you need to have 3 pings) – I check my site with Pingdom and have no outages, although updating the plugins may have caused a small amount of downtime as you say. I can fully understand the need to make sure sites are up, but the various posts and tweets that I make that reference images on Symzio also expect that my images will be visible on the site otherwise those links break.
    Steve

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Yes – I already increased it to three, meaning it would have to be inaccessible for three straight minutes. There are a lot of options we have to minimize the downtime and I’ll look into these things systematically. I wouldn’t worry much about it for now.

I think what we may do is implement a secondary process that basically immediately re-enables your files as soon as your site comes back up. Right now it waits to re-spider them.

Edit: That process has been added – so now, even if your site goes down for an hour, your images will only be offline for an hour. As soon as your site comes back, they will come back too.

Edit: Actually, they will immediately be re-enabled, but they still will need to be re-indexed by the search engine. That means direct links to them will work fine, but they won’t show up in the search results until indexing is performed again. This shouldn’t hurt your external links at all since the direct links will work fine.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Hi Robin

Sorry to bug you – I’ve been waiting to post a specific image from my site but use the Symzio version:

http://www.backyardstockphotos.com/image/sea-turtle-at-moloaa-beach-kauai-hawaii-2/

but my Symzio site has been stuck at 5912 for several hours – about 70 short of the total. Of course, this image is one that is missing. Happy to wait if that is all it is.

Steve

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Let me look into it.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Interesting – but not visible in the search. Try “Moloaa” as a search term.

Steve

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Those are search pages I’m linking to btw – not the actual image page.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

So do I! I’ll shut up now….

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Sorry to open this again. I was going to link to a photo on Symzio, but can’t find it again! I have checked my site, the image was marked as being sold on Symzio, but every keyword I try comes up blank. Try “mountainous”. This is the image:
    http://www.backyardstockphotos.com/image/sunset-along-na-pali-coast-from-kee-beach/

Steve

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Steve,

The media is there:

http://www.symzio.com/stock-photo/sunset-along-pali-coast-from-039-beach

But you are right, it is not showing up in the search results. Let me check why that may be the case.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Issue fixed – was related to a fix I implemented a few days ago to add support for foreign characters. Thanks for pointing it out Steve – this is why I love a community driven project.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.