Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lusoimages
    Lusoimages
    Participant

Hi,

Is there a way to organize the order of the images in an order chosen by us, and not by date added?

Is this possible to do with the standard image categories or is it necessary to install a plugin for galleries or something else?

Thanks!

José Elias

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

I’m not sure if you are talking about in the Dashboard or on the actual site. In your dashboard > Media you can click on the Titles above to sort it by NAME, AUTHOR, UPLOADED, etc.

Jo

Lusoimages
    Participant

I’m talking about organizing the image order shown to a visitor of our site.

At this moment if someone clicks on a category the first image of all is the last one being uploaded.

What I’d like to know is if we can change this order and organize the display of images according to our choice.

I’m asking this because I’d like to start uploading my RM content, and if it’s possible to organize the images I may create specific categories, for example for a specific castle, and put the exterior images first and then the ones of the interior.

This way I could upload a sample of all images for each theme since they will be linked to alamy as I don’t think Symbiostock allows for RM for the moment.

If it’s not possible to organize the images in the visitor view then I’ll probably go another route.

Anyway I think the ability to organize the images would be a good enhancement to Symbiostock features.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

You can “rank” your images from 1 to 3. “Ones” will be shown first.

Lusoimages
    Participant

@redneck wrote:

You can “rank” your images from 1 to 3. “Ones” will be shown first.

Actually, that isn’t happening with my categories. I have mine sorted by upload date despite I’ve classified a series of images with Rank 1 and some with 3.

I don’t think that the sort by rank even works in the results of a search.

All is presented by the most recent upload date.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

You’re right, it doesn’t work with categories. But it does work with image search, at least on my site.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

We used to have the ability to rank our images so the #1 group would show up first in searches AND on our pages.

Not only was it great to have my best images always appear at the top, but being able to mark some as #3 was a fine way to isolate certain images that I wanted to make available but didn’t want to show up at the top of my pages. (Photos of the intriguing structures of dead Saguaro cacti, for example, are interesting for students of such things, but I didn’t want dead plants to be the first things people saw when they arrived on my cacti page.)

Unfortunately, that lovely ranking feature seemed to cause a problem (duplication of images on following pages), so the latter was solved by dumping the former.

Like you, I hope to get that ranking feature back someday. At the moment, many of my very best images (which I proudly uploaded early in this process) are languishing at the bottom of my category pages. Sometimes even on the second page of extensive categories.

I’m hoping Leo has some plan for restoring that ranking feature. It was great while we had it.

Lusoimages
    Participant

@redneck wrote:

You’re right, it doesn’t work with categories. But it does work with image search, at least on my site.

I think in my site it’s working in reverse! The 3rd rank is being shown upfront in searches.

Does anyone knows how to change this?

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

@marthamarks wrote:

Unfortunately, that lovely ranking feature seemed to cause a problem (duplication of images on following pages), so the latter was solved by dumping the former.

Like you, I hope to get that ranking feature back someday. At the moment, many of my very best images (which I proudly uploaded early in this process) are languishing at the bottom of my category pages. Sometimes even on the second page of extensive categories.

I’m hoping Leo has some plan for restoring that ranking feature. It was great while we had it.

Are you sure?
    I still have the ranking feature and it still works well. I’m on 2.9.4.

marthamarks
    Participant

@redneck wrote:

@marthamarks wrote:

Are you sure?

Well, I sure thought so! I can go check it again. Maybe my rankings somehow got screwed up in the process. I’m currently on 2.9.4 also.

Thanks, redneck. I’ll check.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

@marthamarks wrote:

@redneck wrote:

@marthamarks wrote:

Are you sure?

Well, I sure thought so! I can go check it again. Maybe my rankings somehow got screwed up in the process. I’m currently on 2.9.4 also.

Thanks, redneck. I’ll check.

Mine stopped working when I upgraded too. I’d love to have that feature back.

Lusoimages
    Participant

If this feature stopped working I think it would be a priority to make it work again.

It’s extremely important to have our best work displayed in the first contact between a potential client and our site, otherwise they may not get passed the first page of a category simply because we recently photographed a niche theme thats not appealing to most people.

Anyway, I’ve just stupidly reseted my image ranks and now have to go through my 3000 images to fix things… 🙁

marthamarks
    Participant

Well, I’ve tried. Assigned a bunch of recent images a #3 rating to see what would happen. Nothing changed. They’re still showing up at the top of my categories. I even shut down my browser and reopened it. No change.

Redneck, it looks like you’re just a verrry lucky guy!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.