Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

I just thought about the “image updated info” with date of upload on the single image pages. I’m not sure whether this does make sense … is it relevant for SEO?
    Right now everything is fine because non of my images was uploaded before May 2013, but how will it look like in two or three years … will it make our sites look outdated? What do you think?

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

Absolutely no thoughts 😉 ?

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

When it starts to bother me I will probably try and work out how to remove it, while it is under a year old I am not so concerned

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

This is exactly my approach … I just wonder why it’s there and whether removing it would have a negative influence on SEO?

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I can’t answer the SEO question.

It’s quite common for microstock sites to have a date on which something was uploaded, so I don’t think seeing an old date will discourage anyone who plans to buy.

Dreamstime includes the date on which the photo was taken (pulled from the EXIF – user doesn’t have to supply it) which could be useful in a number of circumstances, particularly for editorial. It did occur to me that it might be nice to have the option to display EXIF data on an image page – something that wouldn’t occur to Leo as he’s Mr. Illustration & 3D 🙂

I’m not much fussed about this issue though, to be honest.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

The only thing that has bothered me about that Image Updated thingy is the fact that it appears inside my personal box (photo and info section). Makes it look like my personal photo was updated on that date. Doesn’t look like it refers to the main photo on the page at all.

Do others see it in this same spot? If so, does it seem to you like an odd location for that?

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

@jsnover wrote:

I’m not much fussed about this issue though, to be honest.

I just thought it might drive potential buyers away in two or three years (actually I wasn’t aware of the fact that other agencies also show dates) and I try to find out what I can change to make my single image pages as clear and simple as possible … but I admit it is a minor problem … if it is a problem at all 😀

@marthamarks wrote:

Do others see it in this same spot? If so, does it seem to you like an odd location for that?.

As I use my logo, not an image the location never disturbed me, but I understand what you mean … it would be located better directly under the description, I think

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I agree about the location – I had noticed it a while back but never did anything about it.

Now I have – if you want to change it you need to edit content-image.php. I commented out the original line and put a version of it in after the image description. I made the size smaller, but you can use small instead of x-small if you like.

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_font_font-size.asp

See an example here:

http://www.digitalbristles.com/image/santa-monica-beach-looking-south/

The code that writes this is:
    Image updated—

<?php
    $symbiostock_post_meta = 'ss_before_img_page_description';
    do_action( 'ss_before_img_page_description', $symbiostock_post_meta );
    ?>

<?php the_content( __( 'Continue reading ', 'symbiostock' ) ); ?>

<?php
    $symbiostock_post_meta = 'ss_after_img_page_description';
    do_action( 'ss_after_img_page_description', $symbiostock_post_meta );
    ?>

Image updated—

'' ) ); ?>

<?php
    $symbiostock_post_meta = 'ss_before_img_page_author_box';
    do_action( 'ss_before_img_page_author_box', $symbiostock_post_meta );
    ?>

<?php
    $symbiostock_post_meta = 'ss_after_img_page_author_box';
    do_action( 'ss_after_img_page_author_box', $symbiostock_post_meta );
    ?>

<!-- jas begin Move this under description Image updated— jas end -->
    marthamarks
    Participant

Thanks for that info, Jo Ann. You’ve got it in exactly the right place, and I’d like to do the same.

Now… this next question will show how clueless I am about php.

So… where do you go to change php? I don’t think it’s in the Appearance > Editor section. Is it somewhere in my Bluehost Control Panel?

I’ll be grateful for a tip about that. Several times, people have said “just change this-or-that php to so-and-so” but I never know where to go to do that. Maybe it’s time I learn that. 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

I would download content-image.php with filezilla, edit it with notepad++ and upload it again. Works perfectly for me … I will try to follow Jo Ann’s hints tomorrow as I like the way the date is displayed … right place and very subtle.

marthamarks
    Participant

@jsfoto wrote:

I would download content-image.php with filezilla, edit it with notepad++ and upload it again. Works perfectly for me … I will try to follow Jo Ann’s hints tomorrow as I like the way the date is displayed … right place and very subtle.

Thanks, but… I don’t have either filezilla or notepad, and I still don’t know where to go to get it to start with. Am I out of luck?

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

filezilla and notepad++ is freeware … so I don’t think you are out of luck 😉

marthamarks
    Participant

@jsfoto wrote:

OK, I can get them. Assuming they work on a Mac. 🙂

I hope they’re good for something else, since I hate being cluttered up with single-use stuff.

Thanks!

marthamarks
    Participant

@jsfoto wrote:

I just looked up filezilla. OK, it’s a ftp program. But… I already have Fetch. Is that the same thing, so I can use it instead of getting something else?

marthamarks
    Participant

notepad++ won’t work for me. It’s a Windows product.

Can I just edit whatever this php thing is in Word?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.