Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tdahl-stock
    tdahl-stock
    Participant

I am stumped. when I installed it did not make any changes.

I did have this happen to me. I accidentally activated a child theme I had used for 2.6.5 and it did something similar to what is happening to your site. I had renamed the old child theme but the name stays the same and shows up in the theme page. So I had two Symbiostock Child themes listed and I chose the wrong one. Just a thought.

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

I only have one child theme directory. I never renamed anything, and I just did a clean install. So I guess I have a bug and I didnt know about it, so thats where all the confusion is coming from.

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

Ok, basically your child theme has little to no settings in it at all by default. So think of it as prior to custom work. When you use the Child theme it basically undoes your direct custom work you do in the main SymbioStock theme. So any custom work you do/did with the Parent Theme you now have to do for your Child Theme. The good news is that once done, it will remain done for EVERY new SymbioStock theme released unless there are some radical changes like between 2.5.x and our current theme.

So essentially your newly installed Child Theme has no actual settings yet. You need to basically redo the parts that are reset back to the default, with your preferences. It’s like installing a new theme. You need to tweak it back to your previous modifications.

Jo

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

I havent done any custom work in the main theme or I am COMPLETELY missing something 🙂 Its probably going to be a DOH moment. Unless Leo did extensive custom work, I am not aware of.

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

You have custom snippets of code and modified bits in it as you’ve told us. I’m not trying to argue, I’m just explaining. If you change lines in PHP files you are performing custom changes to the STANDARD code. The Child Theme also applies a modifier but it is never the original theme. It’s also easier to spot errors in the few bits of modification in the Child Theme than the ENTIRE Parent theme of code that runs the whole site.

Changes should rather be in the child theme. Essentially the child theme compares itself to the Parent theme and says… OK! What is different in here than the Parent Theme and then it applies those changes to the end result on your screen.

If you make changes in the Parent theme you are constantly running the risk of making a mistake, every time you update, you HAVE TO “Rebuild” your changes. If you do it ONCE in your Child Theme, your CHILD THEME always stays the same and applies its code even if it bombs out the Parent theme. So sometimes there may need to be some tweaks but overall you do nothing but seamlessly upgrade and carry on without any trouble.

Jo

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

The only change I ever made was logos in my footer. I am not here to argue either, I never made ANY visual changes, nor have I ever changed ANY stylesheet, nor ANY PHP file 🙂

Profile photo of Ezeepics
    Ezeepics
    Participant

When I activate Dragonfly theme the layout of my site becomes disastruous! I loose the Header Menù and I have an orange band above it. How can I upload a screen stamp here?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.