Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Ok. Many people have told me to use the child theme, but I dont know how.

Problem is, when I activate child theme, my whole site reverts back to a look from the stoneage, I dont want that. I also dont want to rebuild my site from scratch, if possible.

Can someone give me a guide on how to activate the child theme and keep my current site look? Do I need to drag over all PHP files from the main theme to the child theme?

And how do I use child theme? How does it work? I have no idea, thats why I am not using it.

thanks
    Ron

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

A clean child theme will not do any changes on your site unless you fill it with the modifications you want. I’d suggest to download, upload, install and activate a clean child theme (Leo or others will find a link for it).

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Or you can install the Dragonfly child theme and see if it makes changes to your design. if it does, and you don’t like it, simply reactivate your original Symbiostock theme.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

I want to stay away from dragonfly, and my child theme is brand new, I never did anything with it. I dont understand why my child theme is throwing my site back to the stone age. Where can I get a clean child theme

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant
    Profile photo of tdahl-stock
    tdahl-stock
    Participant

Here is the link to a clean child theme. This is what I used. Should not make any changes. Just activate it. Then you can make all your changes under the child theme and they will not get over written by updates.

https://github.com/orangeman555/symbiostock/blob/master/symbiostock-child.zip?raw=true

FYI… This url was taken from this thread http://www.symbiostock.org/topic/369/importance-of-child-theme-solved-answered/

-Tim

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Thanks, will install that now. But how does it work? Where do I make changes?

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

When you have it activated, you can make changes to the style.css under Appearance – Editor.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

I dont want to make changes to the style.css. Ok, I am going to drop this approach, this is not what I want, and I dont understand a thing about it.

Profile photo of tdahl-stock
    tdahl-stock
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

Thanks, will install that now. But how does it work? Where do I make changes?

It will install a Symbiostock-child folder in the themes folder. There is a blank style.css where you make all your css changes. You can also copy some of the php files into the child directory if you need to make changes to those.

I am not sure about the limitations on what php files you can copy and edit in the child theme though. Some with more experience will have to provide input.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

I have never made any changes to style.css so why do I need to do that with child theme. That makes using the child theme backwards.

Look at my site, I have installed child theme and its a mess. And it seems I cant explain what I mean. I just wish someone could tell me how to use child theme. I appreciate all your help, but it seems I am not getting any further.

How do I get my out of the box look using child theme.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I don’t know what exactly you have installed but it’s not a clean child theme. Because a clean child theme doesn’t do any changes to your site as long as it’s clean.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

But it is a clean child theme, I just installed it from scratch.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Have you tried to re-activate your Symbiostock theme (not the child)?

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Yes, then I get back to my normal site. Thats no issue, but that doesnt fix the child theme issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.