Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

A lot happens in a couple of weeks! I have started to try and catch up.

I have looked at some of the sites with the newest version and none of them look like mine – not that there’s anything wrong with that 🙂

It seems important to move up to the new version, but as I understand it CleanTheme isn’t an option.

None of the 11 styles in Dragonfly look similar to my site, although Slate seems right if you just do gray on white instead of the dark look.

I don’t like all the visual clutter of lines around sections and gradients behind headings etc. Is it possible to get something close to my current look from one of the dragonfly themes? By that I mean without writing a lot of code to make changes to the child theme.

I know I could just see what happens, but I don’t want my site looking sloppy if I do the upgrade, find I can’t get there from here, and then can’t go back either. Can anyone who’s made the leap give me some idea of how much work it’d probably be to make my site look just the same but use the newest version?

thanks

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

If you’ve already purchased cleantheme I can give you a version which is relatively up to speed with this version…so that answers 90% of your question!

Regarding the “clutter” there are ways to remove much of it, simply small CSS insertions which we’ve already posted for people to use.

If you need me to take five seconds to do a conversion for you I can. I’m trying to do that with a few sites 😀

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

No need to take your time to do that, but thanks for the offer.

When you say you have a CleanTheme that’s “relatively” up to speed, is using that going to cause headaches in the future – sometimes continuing with “old” technology isn’t the bargain you think it will be 🙂

Do you have a suggestion for which of the dragonfly variants might be the best for me to start with (assuming the goal is to have my site look just the same as before)?

Profile photo of CrackerClips
    CrackerClips
    Participant

I’ve been busy the last couple of weeks working on other things and it seems the symbio world has changed a lot in a short period of time. I’m using the clean theme as well, with no special css customizations, and I’d like to upgrade but would also like to maintain the look of my site.

Leo, if you’ve got a clean theme update and it would really only take a few minutes of your time to update my site, I’m game. Let me know, otherwise I guess I’ll let this all shake out for a bit longer until I get some time to figure this all out.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Hi guys,

This theme should not cause any headaches. Literally its a few class replacements, a few class removals — I’d be surprised if it greatly altered things.

The ONLY thing you can expect hugely applies to the whole upgrade anyways – your menus will have to be condensed a bit.

With all that said, if you don’t feel like your hugely in need to upgrade, just stick with what you have. Your present theme does not have any huge faults.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

I’m one whom Leo helped upgrade to 2.8.2 AND maintain my Clean Theme look. It may not be the same look others want, but I like it.

At some point, I’ll switch to a showy “header” slide with text overlays, but not now. Still got too many images to upload yet.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Here’s a clean-theme fresh install for your reference: http://www.kennykstock.com/

Profile photo of CrackerClips
    CrackerClips
    Participant

So where do we get the upgraded clean theme that works well with the symbio update?

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Add me to the list for an updated Clean Theme 2.0 – and in another post you mentioned you had a version of SYXtra that worked with the latest symbiostock too. I don’t care about the layout stuff, just the hover previews and square thumbnail widgets.

I’d love it if hover previews (the click to preview is not the same and doesn’t encourage browsing) could be part of the main theme. Or if we could separate out the previews from the other stuff in SYXtra…

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Jo Ann , I am still using syxtra but only for the square thumbnails in the front page with hover. I do not use clean theme though so do not know how it works with that

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of MinkyMooMedia
    MinkyMooMedia
    Participant

Does anyone know if the Clean Theme been updated yet? I purchased this a while back and would like to test it if it has been.

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Leo said above he could give us an updated Clean Theme but he hasn’t been back since to provide a link…

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

@jsnover wrote:

Leo said above he could give us an updated Clean Theme but he hasn’t been back since to provide a link…

As far as I understand it Leo isn’t the author of Clean Theme. The site for the theme also states that “SymbioThemes is temporarily closed.”

http://www.symbiothemes.com/

Perhaps the author of the Theme is busy updating it.

Jo

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

No, Leo isn’t the author, Amanda is. But look at Leo’s post #2, above:

“If you’ve already purchased cleantheme I can give you a version which is relatively up to speed with this version…so that answers 90% of your question!”

So I assume he made some edits to make it work, or mostly work.

I’m thinking of giving dragonfly a try and attempting to mimic Clean Theme with it by getting rid of colors and lines and boxes, etc.

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

I think a lot of what was in the Clean Theme is now in part, included in the Theme in one way or another.

Jo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.