Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I’m taking the opportunity of upgrading to the new Symbiostock in a fresh install with a new hosting company – Inmotion. The old URL is still with the legacy site and I will take some time transferring images across to my new installation.

In the meantime, my new installation has a temporary URL – based on the actual address of the server and the folder that my wordpress application runs in. All my images are getting that as a reference, for instance: http://ecbiz175.inmotionhosting.com/~backya28/bsp/index.php/product/panorama-english-welsh-countryside/

The site was given this name by a couple of changes to the Config file and I will remove those once I transfer the correct URL to the site.

Big question – will this all work? Does WordPress automatically change the references to the media files and the product pages when I finally get round to changing its URL?

Would I be better changing the URL early (although that would mean my old site would be off the air during the transition.

Once last URL question. All the google search results currently point to my URL and a specific page within that URL. As I migrate to the new Symbio, even though the URL will eventually be the same, all the carefully won ranking of my images and pages will be lost I guess? Does this mean I would be better starting my new site with a new URL and leaving the old one up for a while?

Steve

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

Good questions –

1) When you change your URL in WordPress, all the internal pages should change over automatically. You may have to tweak some setting to make sure everything converts over without a hitch, but overall it is not a complicated process and is a supported function of WordPress: https://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL

2) The importer tries to copy your exact product URLs over to the new Symbiostock. Despite this, by default WooCommerce will not make your URLs look identical to the old site simply because they are different engines. However, you are able to control much of this through your WordPress settings pages (the Settings > Permalinks area) where it is possible you may be able to make your new URLs look identical to your old ones.

Failing this, as the product URLs themselves will look very similar, you can do an internal PHP redirect or HTACCESS redirect that will send wildcard product queries from the old url to the new one. This may take a little bit of testing, but you can look here for some information on it: http://www.seocentro.com/articles/apache/mod_rewrite-redirect-relocated-urls.html

Based on your technical know-how, you don’t have to lose any rankings. If you need specific help, I can try, but overall it just takes some testing and research to get it working exactly as you want it to.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.