Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

The process I followed to move my site resulted in a week or so when it was running under a new URL and with a different format for the image pages. I changed that at the end (and I have updated my detailed “how I did it” post on my blog (BackyardSilver.com) to improve the process). End result is that Google has re-indexed some of my old images to point to the now incorrect URL.

I found a neat plugin called 404page that lets you select any of your pages as your “page not found” or 404 page. I created a new page explaining the new URL structure – not ideal but it might result in a sale that I otherwise would have lost. Over time, this problem will go away as Google reindexes me again, but it seemed like a good short term measure.

Here is the new 404 page in action: http://www.backyardstockphotos.net/index.php/product/lonesome-bengal-cat-in-front-of-christmas-tree/

Steve

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

That’s pretty cool – Symbiostock 2.0 has a built in redirector now. So what you do is stick in the string you want replaced, and it will automatically redirect those portions. So, an example syntax for your site would be:

“/index.php/product/”>”/image/”

And it would properly redirect all those URLs. Very simple but powerful for SEO.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Sounds great – I can’t wait for version 2.0

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.