Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

When we start to delete threads and lock threads asking questions, I get worried.

Censorship is a dangerous direction to take. It can do more harm then good. If the word gets out that things around Symbiostock need to be censored, we will feed the conspiracies and it will fuel the trolls and it will harm the project as a whole.

Think about it, but censorship to me is communism, China, Russia, North Korea…. etc

Lets keep the communication open and honest.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Sometimes when you get a new forum and everyone is learning how everything works then things get done by accident and you accidentally delete threads instead of posts or delete instead of splitting. No censorship, no conspiracy just human error.

I locked your other thread, I did mean to add a message once I looked into it but forgot (a human error again).

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Funny that errors occur on the two threads related to a heated subject.

In that case, ignore my OP. No worries.

Carry on.

Profile photo of Chromaco
    Chromaco
    Participant

I completely agree threads should be allowed to run their own course. I don’t know what happened to the .com thread but I would guess it was more about Leo’s comments than anyone else’s. We need to show our imperfect sides as well.
    I am sure you all know “that couple”. The ones who are perfect? In incredible love, always agree, never fight, the perfect relationship. You know what I’m talking about. No one trusts that relationship because they know it is fake and divorce is just a few months away. You also know that old couple. The ones who speak their mind but also easily forgive each other. Not nearly as pretty but also have been married for 60 years.

Symbiostock should be the old couple. It breeds trust and it is honest and believable. People have bad days, good relationships forgive, forget and move on.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@chromaco wrote:

Symbiostock should be the old couple. It breeds trust and it is honest and believable. People have bad days, good relationships forgive, forget and move on.

Very well said, Chromaco.

As one happily settled in and still in love, as half of an “old couple” (married 46 years now… to the very same guy), I hope to live long enough to see Symbiostock take on those same “settled in and still in love” characteristics.

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

@marthamarks wrote:

@chromaco wrote:

Very well said, Chromaco.

As one happily settled in and still in love, as half of an “old couple” (married 46 years now… to the very same guy), I hope to live long enough to see Symbiostock take on those same “settled in and still in love” characteristics.

I agree, very well said!

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I think I agree, but I must have come into the middle of something ’cause I’m not entirely sure what this is about.

I thing that there are some reasonable models for free speech with a very small number of limits. Communities in general thrive on small concessions in individual freedom for the good of the survival and health/growth/wellbeing of the group.

I think it would be a mistake to say no limits of any kind because
    (a) we have already taken lots of steps to avoid/remove spammers,
    (b) if for whatever reason someone started to libel other people or agencies we’d probably need to put a stop to that (and I mean legal libel, not just someone saying something nasty)
    (c) hate speech is repugnant and
    (d) personal bickering and dust-ups are best taken to e-mail or personal messages

In general I think Tyler (Leaf) does a fine job with a light hand in the Microstock Group; I loved how Rob Sylvan moderated when he was still with iStock (gentle and respectful at all times). I no longer visit the Shutterstock forums because they’re a wasteland of more heat than light – an example IMO of what too little moderation can bring about.

People are free to delete their own posts, but I often think that’s a really bad idea – it’s a kind of hit and run. They stir things up and then remove the provocation leaving latecomers aware that there are some hurt feelings but puzzled about context.

And then there’s the massive power of a simple apology – Ron being the most recent example of that in an MSG post from a week or two ago. It’s huge and it helps people aiming for the “old couple” model get there without nursing grudges.

I’m sure we can figure this out so we get vigorous discussions (what’s that lovely politicians’ phrase? A full and frank exchange of views?) but stay away from personal attacks.

I have moderator privs again. So far I moved some posts from a duplicate thread to merge them but that’s it. I will happily commit that I won’t lock or delete anything without sending PM to explain what’s up (except to spammers who are not entitled to any courtesies).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.