Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Walt Payne
    Walt Payne
    Participant

I want to point two copies of Symbiostock to the same set of images. I tried changing the “media location” on the second copy to match the location of the first install, but that isn’t working. I have a pretty good idea why that isn’t working, but not sure how to overcome the issue. I suspect the images need to be imported into the new copy, but how do I go about doing this without a second copy being created? Is there a way to make this work?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Use this to clone your current site to the new one:

https://github.com/wp-sync-db/wp-sync-db

Then change the media location as you previously did.

However, be aware that if you add or remove any media on either install, it will not reflect in the database of the other one, and you will get very weird broken bugs. So this is only recommended if you want the second WP install to reference the media files but not add/delete any.

Profile photo of Walt Payne
    Walt Payne
    Participant

Thanks Robin.

If I add/update/delete in the primary will it work to do another sync, or will that mess up the clone? Can I add things like licenses and products, or does that need to be done in the primary, also?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

You can do all sorts of things to each individual install, and it will not reflect in the other. The only exception is adding or deleting media, where the actual content of the folder is altered. In this case, if you add media to the first one, it will not show up in the second, and the second will not be negatively affected.

If, however, you delete one from the first that was added to the second previously, you will get “media not found” warnings eventually and then will have to manually delete those products from your second store.

If you do another DB sync it will override everything in the second store, including styles, settings, everything.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.