Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

See this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1262

When you’ve completed it you’ll be amazed at the improvements achieved, and some of the long-term benefits.

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

Thanks a lot, Leo. This is very usefull!

I dont really understand Number 2: ” Customers may not see events that reflect their activity (carts, available downloads) and thus become irritated and leave.”
    Does it mean a customer can’t see the chosen image and size before he clicks the pay now button?

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@jsfoto wrote:

Thanks a lot, Leo. This is very usefull!

I dont really understand Number 2: ” Customers may not see events that reflect their activity (carts, available downloads) and thus become irritated and leave.”
    Does it mean a customer can’t see the chosen image and size before he clicks the pay now button?

Some examples:

Customer adds item to cart. Sees yellow area depicting size in cart.
    Customer wanders site, comes back to original image.
    Customer no longer sees yellow area (because its a cached page, not dynamic)
    Customer gets confused.

Another example:

Customer adds a bunch of things to his/her cart.
    Goes to checkout page, sees nothing (because they are seeing cached page)…gets angry and leaves.

One more:

Customer goes through checkout, lands on page after sale, never sees items arrive.

So although these caching and spam control systems are a wonderful thing, I’ve avoided introducing them knowing that the percieved trouble would normally be from the Symbiostock theme…usually I have to solve these problems caused by people just to avoid bad publicity. This tutorial should help immensely, and keep people aware of how to set up properly so everyone can benefit.

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

Is there no way to exclude the cart and download area from caching? Sorry when asking stupid questions, but I still don’t understand whether the cases you described will be the normal user experience when Supercache is activated or only rare exceptions.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@jsfoto wrote:

Is there no way to exclude the cart and download area from caching? Sorry when asking stupid questions, but I still don’t understand whether the cases you described will be the normal user experience when Supercache is activated or only rare exceptions.

That is the case when you do not alter things.

In the tutorial for instance it shows you how to remove the customer checkout/cart page from caching so it functions as it should.

The item selection will not visually stick when they leave a product page and then come back. So basically when they choose an item, it will show yellow. But when they come back, the item will not longer show yellow (they will see it in their cart area though)

Here is the part of the page that explains ti (except without the image)

This is also quite important. If you cache the customer page, they may not see what they currently have in their cart. Or even more confusing, they might see someone else’s cart!

To put it simply, above the first text-box you see this statement:

“Add here strings (not a filename) that forces a page not to be cached. For example, if your URLs include year and you dont want to cache last year posts, it’s enough to specify the year, i.e. ’/2004/’. WP-Cache will search if that string is part of the URI and if so, it will not cache that page.”

Simply put all the pages that must not be cached in this box. Perhaps you have other pages other than the customer page that you do not want to cache. Be sure to include these.

Now simply push:

“Save Strings”

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

Thanks for your patience Leo … I stop asking now, read your tutorial carefully and follow it 😀

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

No prob. This is one of those things that take a bit of practice, but its a very important factor. Introducing it too early ( I feared ) might intimdate people or introduce them to too many compexities.

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

I’m done … everything was set up within half an hour, or even less … Wonderfull step by step tutorial 😀 Thanks again!

There is one minor point you might want to change. It’s necessary to install Bad Behaviour before you can set the checkbox in the plugin-tab of wp supercache … but I could handle that 😆

I already receive Emails about the ongoing caching-process … I love it 🙂

What I haven’t done yet is installing Aksimet and Sweet Capture … Is it necessary or can I pass that?

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@jsfoto wrote:

I’m done … everything was set up within half an hour, or even less … Wonderfull step by step tutorial 😀 Thanks again!

There is one minor point you might want to change. It’s necessary to install Bad Behaviour before you can set the checkbox in the plugin-tab of wp supercache … but I could handle that 😆

I already receive Emails about the ongoing caching-process … I love it 🙂

What I haven’t done yet is installing Aksimet and Sweet Capture … Is it necessary or can I pass that?

I’d put them in just in case. I’m pretty sure Bad Behavior uses some of Aksimet’s data anyway…but I keep them both up to avoid comment spam and such.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

But Akismet is something you’d have to pay for, isn’t it?

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

@leo

Do you use (or recommend to use) Wordfence in addition to the plugins mentioned in your tutorial?

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@redneck wrote:

But Akismet is something you’d have to pay for, isn’t it?

Yes. It’s $5 per month, but if you have it on one site you can use it on other sites you own at no extra charge. That’s helpful if you run more than one site, as I do.

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

I use Super Cache with almost all the settings recommended by Leo and Wordfence for a while now. I didn’t encounter any problems so far…

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I actually think something in this tutorial is not quite clear. At least it did confuse me.

I’m referring to Screenshot 5, “Expiry Time & Garbage Collection”.

The screenshot says to set the “Timer” to 302400s while the description says to set the “Scheduler” to “Once Daily”. Both ways are fine but you have to decide which one you want to go. EITHER “Timer’ OR “Scheduler”, you can’t use both at the same time.

Example: If you decide you want to clear the garbage once a day, then you should set EITHER the timer to 864000 OR the scheduler to Once Daily.

Took me a little to understand this, maybe it helps others.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.