Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ajt
    ajt
    Participant

@cathyslife stockphotos wrote:

When i look at webmaster tools, i see everyone in the network as “links to my site”. How is that happening? I am beginning to think that no matter who i link to in my ten slots, i am automatically linked to everyone. Right now, i am linked to sy.info and jsnovers site in two of my slots. Where are links to everyone in the network being made? I am not complaining, i am just trying to figure out how it all works. What is the emphasis on filling the ten slots if we are all linked anyway?

I dont have your site in my slots, but when I am searching for ‘pumpkins’ in my site, there are results from sy.info with your images and they have links leading to your site, so my site is assumed as linking to yours 🙂

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Ok, it seems that my lack of understanding and bitdefender going off spawned my worries. I think my worries are legit, but if its all explainable it might not be so bad on second thought. However, now I need to click 110 sites? WHat if we have 1000 sites. Do I need to disable 995 sites? What about a tick all option and then I only have to untick 5 sites.

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

I see the rotating slide show on ever search page when my site returns more than one result.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Or Dobermann ! 😀

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@ajt wrote:

When i look at webmaster tools, i see everyone in the network as “links to my site”. How is that happening? I am beginning to think that no matter who i link to in my ten slots, i am automatically linked to everyone. Right now, i am linked to sy.info and jsnovers site in two of my slots. Where are links to everyone in the network being made? I am not complaining, i am just trying to figure out how it all works. What is the emphasis on filling the ten slots if we are all linked anyway?

I dont have your site in my slots, but when I am searching for ‘pumpkins’ in my site, there are results from sy.info with your images and they have links leading to your site, so my site is assumed as linking to yours 🙂

But it’s only a link for that particular search. Is that considered a backlink in SEO terms?

when google crawls sy.info or my site, they look at each keyword and then dece whether to index each image on that page — the site’s are getting noticed, we just don’t know the actual results

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

rather than checking the symbiocards separately, http://cascoly.com/symbio/list.asp?list=35 shows all promoted keywords – eg, there are 7 sites promoting Christmas

http://cascoly.com/symbio/list.asp?list=31 shows each site’s promoted keywords

there’s a limit to the number of other sites’ results that will display – I think it’s 10 total

and note for all — you can now have up to 40 promoted keywords

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

I did a bit of investigation and found the following by digging deeper into the stats on Google Webmaster Tools. I used the Download Latest Links button to get more info.

The list of domains linking to your site includes links going all the way back to April when many of us started our sites. Those highly ranked sites may not be linking in with the same frequency they did in the past. By downloading the Latest info I was able to do some analysis by date.

The stats downloaded seem to lag behind by about 3 weeks as Sept. 23 is the latest date for any incoming link.

Disclaimer – by listing specific sites it’s just for illustration, not any criticism or commentary regarding who links to me or doesn’t link to me as everyone needs to make decisions on what is right for them. That said, here is some of what I discovered:

Cathy – your site shows 1 Bot and 16 links to my site in September, none after the 13th of the month and 5 of those links are on my focus keyword list. By contrast, in August there were 16 bot crawls and 125 direct links. July showed over 200 incoming links. Some of the change could be due to seasonal changes in keyword searches but in looking at this I suspect the big drop in incoming links is related to the removal of my site from your network.

I’m seeing a similar change of incoming links from Picturebreeze. I think I had been part of Andre’s network in the past but see that my site is not currently listed as part of his network. In August I had 839 incoming links from Picturebreeze. In September I had 59 incoming links from his site.

Ron – As far as I can tell you and I do not have any direct network links in any way yet I have 5 incoming links from your site. They are all words on my focus keyword list so the focus keyword concept does seem to have a benefit with linking beyond one’s direct network.

Symbiostock.info is showing 347 incoming links in September. The relationship seems to be between my site and Sy.info and I’m not finding a relationship that includes a third party (ie: link to Cathy’s site via Symbiostock.info). There seem to be a couple of variations on the url listed. Those that show .info/?s=[search word] do not show a search word in the search box in the page returned so I suspect those are the results called up by someone having sy.info as a network partner. Those urls that have /index2.php?search=[search word] will show that word in the search box on the page so I suspect those incoming links are based on direct searches at Sy.info.

I also see a few sites in my outgoing network that don’t seem to be contributing more than a couple of incoming links into my site. That’s not to say it has to be equal on incoming and outgoing connections but I suspect if they are not getting searches on their site that link back to mine we probably don’t have symbiotic keywords and therefore I am not contributing much in the way of links to their site either.

On the flip side, I see a few sites where there is not currently a direct link but I see a lot of incoming traffic, much of it from the focus keywords. A few of those sites might be a better option to fill my network sites since we seem to be drawing similar types of searches. Of course that gets back to what is more beneficial to our sites, limit the number of images shown to just a few to reduce competition or the more the merrier in that it results in satisfied buyers who will come back and if my images are strong they will end up selling.

Conclusions:

> Having strong sites list you in their network increases your incoming links (“strong” meaning those with lots of traffic, symbiotic keywords) and that drops if you’re removed from their network.

> Having only Symbiostock.info in your network will show on other sites as incoming links from Sy.info, not from the site it’s displayed on. This is good in that as Sy.info rises in ranking it shows incoming links to our sites from a site with high ranking which I believe is good for SEO but it’s lacking in other benefits. If you had a direct link you would be contributing two incoming links to another site for SEO purposes.

> On the negative side of the Sy.info search results, many of them are showing that the link is to page 17, 40, 158 and in one case page 825 so while it’s contributing a link, buyers will probably never see the image.

> Having direct links seems to greatly increase the bot crawl traffic. Symbiostock.info does not seem to be contributing any Bot crawl traffic.

> Focus keywords work to bring in traffic from the distant network beyond your direct links. There may be benefits to analyzing which of your words are successful in bringing links and replacing weak words. Adjusting them for seasonal or newsworthy events may return good results too. in example, during world cup soccer finals Ron may benefit from listing those countries that are in the finals to gain more returns on his flag face images specific to that country, then changing them to more general terms later on.

Maybe one of the SEO experts can weigh in on this:

How important is the Bot crawl traffic?
    How important is it to have a higher variety of incoming links from other site searches?

If those two factors are important for SEO and site ranking then I see a strong argument for including others in one’s network slots and not just relying on Symbiostock.info for shared search.

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

Thank you so much for all of that analysis, Karen! That is just the type of info I have been looking for. I am trying to learn more about all of this SEO stuff.

I will go see if I can find stats on my webmaster tools like you posted so I can study what you are saying. I would also like to mention that prior to a month or so ago, I was connected to 10 network slots, one being sy.info. In those months (about 3 or 3-1/2) I had 1 sale. I don’t really know if I can conclude that removing all the network links has hurt my sales, since I started with only 1. As far as direct links and bot crawls, if those don’t convert into sales, it’s irrelevant too. But I can see that increasing all of those things would certainly up the chances for more visibility and then maybe more sales.

On the left side you’ll see Links To Your Site. It will show about 5 links. Click on MORE underneath you’ll get a larger list with download buttons at the top. I used the Download Latest Links button. Beyond that it was manual sorting and tabulating results. You’ll see Bot or other similar terms in some of the Bot links. I sorted by date, then looked at specific months sorting by site name.

I think your last sentence captures the concept. The Bot crawls and the links created by a network member displaying your image in search results don’t necessarily result in someone coming direct to your page, but Bot crawls index pages and improve your rankings, and by getting your image displayed you have a greater chance of having someone jump to your page. You also show more relevance to Google since there are more links to your page.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.