Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ajt
    ajt
    Participant

I am testing this in my site.
    It works like featured images. Free image should be added to category named “Symbiostock Free Images”, and widget “Free Images” can be added to home page, like other widgets.
    Example:
    http://ajotte.com/
    Image:
    http://ajotte.com/image/orange-lime-and-lemon/
    Registered users see button “Get File”:

Everyone wanting to get image, has to register first.

Is this function worth adding to theme?

It could be used also in symbiostock.info, as collection from all sites, named “free download area” or sth 🙂

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

I never liked the idea of handing out freebees and I am not interested in this.

“so far” I should add. Because I’d be very interested in how it works (or doesn’t work) for those of us who like this enough to give it try. If real sales start rolling in because of a few free images offered I’ll most definitely change my mind :mrgreen:

In any case, thank you, ajt, for coding and providing this. 😀

Profile photo of ShazamImages
    ShazamImages
    Participant

@Imago Borealis wrote:

+1

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

I already have one free image (small size), but you don’t have to register to download it. I would be interested as I like the idea that the customer has to register first, but I think it should come with an option to choose which size(s) you want to offer for free.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

@Imago Borealis wrote:

+2
    but thank you for the offer.

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of ajt
    ajt
    Participant

@jsfoto wrote:

I already have one free image (small size), but you don’t have to register to download it. I would be interested as I like the idea that the customer has to register first, but I think it should come with an option to choose which size(s) you want to offer for free.

Now only large file is available for download, but I can always upload smaller version of image and make it free. It even can have disabled paid download options (edit and ‘not live’).
    Or maybe I’ll add free size option somewhere in Author Options or Settings 🙂

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I have mixed feelings about free images. I have offered them at a number of sites over a number of years and at the beginning thought it might bring additional attention to my portfolio. Later I made offers of free images to help the site – thinking it was one of the ways they kept buyers spending time on the site.

I’ve never seen any clear benefit to my portfolio from the time when I’ve had a free image. And I once had a sale on a different site of an image that was free at another. That led me to think that buyers weren’t aggressively chasing deals, but just “shopping” where they usually shopped.

But for all that, sites still offer freebies, so someone must feel there’s something in it. I’m more than willing to donate a free image for a period of time if someone wants to experiment with whether or not this boosts traffic to the network. I’d prefer it if the size offered weren’t the largest, but that’s not a deal breaker.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

On a practical level, free images are of good SEO value if you make the large size directly accessible. Sometimes someone will say “Great image! Is there more in the series?” then they shop to make their collection complete.

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

@joannsnover wrote:

I have mixed feelings about free images. I have offered them at a number of sites over a number of years and at the beginning thought it might bring additional attention to my portfolio. Later I made offers of free images to help the site – thinking it was one of the ways they kept buyers spending time on the site.

I’ve never seen any clear benefit to my portfolio from the time when I’ve had a free image. And I once had a sale on a different site of an image that was free at another. That led me to think that buyers weren’t aggressively chasing deals, but just “shopping” where they usually shopped.

But for all that, sites still offer freebies, so someone must feel there’s something in it. I’m more than willing to donate a free image for a period of time if someone wants to experiment with whether or not this boosts traffic to the network. I’d prefer it if the size offered weren’t the largest, but that’s not a deal breaker.

Thank you Jo Ann for sharing your experience. I think this is much more worth than just theories on how freebees might be beneficial.

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

@ajt wrote:

@jsfoto wrote:

Now only large file is available for download, but I can always upload smaller version of image and make it free. It even can have disabled paid download options (edit and ‘not live’).
    Or maybe I’ll add free size option somewhere in Author Options or Settings 🙂

Good idea, I think 🙂

Profile photo of Ariene
    Ariene
    Participant

@christine wrote:

@Imago Borealis wrote:

+2
    but thank you for the offer.

+ xxxx….
    Not this way in my business.
    I used to upload my first images to free stock sxchu or something like that. It was years ago, images taken every day, thousands of downloads… and I will not do that ever again.

Giving your work for free you give worse quality and you show you can work… for FREE!

I’m definitely not interested, and I don’t think that’s the way my work should go, so thanks.

Profile photo of pling
    pling
    Participant

i would like to have this feature this could help improve seo and also bring buyer to our own site.

Profile photo of ajt
    ajt
    Participant

I think that some of you misunderstood me. I don’t want you to give your entire work (or big number of images) for free. I’ve placed three free images in my site as an example. You can offer only one. And when someone finds your free image somewhere in google or other search engine, he has to go to your site and register to download it.

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

Hey ajt, nice idea for those who wants to give an image for free.

I have another suggestion for a different approach and also a suggestions for your actual idea.

My suggestion in a different approach.
    1a. I’d like to offer a free image for who is already my customer. So I would give it if my customer already bought X#* of images and I would give one for free at his/her choice. (*) Would set 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and etc number of bought images to get one for free.
    1b. After customer getting the image, it would reset the counter and start over and also would have a set to repeat the promotion:
    [ ] life for x images bought, [ ] x times; [ ] never – Do not provide such promotion.
    2. Send a warning, if you buy one more image you’re ready to get one for free.
    3. Some other options as the suggested bellow…

Here are some suggestion for your actual idea in the back-end admin settings:
    1. As already suggested, select the wished size as free;
    2. Get to select as a free image of the week or the month. You could set the period to let it goes for free;
    3. Set if you want to give as non-commercial or commercial bounded by the EULA.

Well, something like that. Just a thought. ;0)

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

on my smugmug site, I offered free images for websites if they included my link info — it gained a small amount of traffic.

I’ve done the same with my sym site — letting people use the minipics with links — there’s no downside to this, since it’s something people could do anyway WITHOUT giving me any backlinks!

http://cascoly.com/trav/tours/2014-turkey.asp shows how this works on my cascoly.com site

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.