Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Based on a recent discussion and also what happened with the release of WP 4.4, I pointed out to contributors that they should always have WP core updates disabled by default. WP 4.4, for example, broke WooCommerce, and if your install auto-updates the core, your live site could break.

This is always enabled by default when you install a new site, and I believe this is a big mistake with WP.

Do you think we should include the disabling of the core auto updates in Symbiostock by default to rectify this potential problem? And provide an option allowing for contributors to enable it through the settings?

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

As soon I came across your instructions on how to disable automatic WP core updates I applied it to my site. While I can see the downside of potential security risks, I never liked automatic updates. I like to be in control. Now, your idea of including an option to enable/disable it through the settings would be the luxury version of being in control. I am all for it.

Profile photo of Henri
    Henri
    Participant

Are your WordPress sites updating automatically major releases (e.g. 4.2, 4.3, 4.4)? Because my site has never updated major releases automatically and I have not change any default settings regarding it. My site only updates minor releases (e.g. 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.2.3) automatically and I think it is only a good thing because those updates usually have security improvements.

That’s why I don’t like the idea to add the disabling of the core auto updates in Symbiostock by default. Of course, it can be an optional setting, or user can install some plugin (e.g. Easy Updates Manager) to control it.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Do you think we should include the disabling of the core auto updates in Symbiostock by default to rectify this potential problem? And provide an option allowing for contributors to enable it through the settings?

Yes, absolutely.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.