Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of scenicoregon
    scenicoregon
    Participant

OK, so just exploring possibilities, have started tweeting lately, and ran across the “Social” menu in the Yoast SEO plugin. There you can set it up to add meta data to heads for Facebook, Google+, and a Twitter card. My big questions: 1) Is all of that compatible with Symbiostock? 2) What’s a Twitter card? How does that work? 3) Is it worth doing?
    Thanks all.

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Whether or not you use the social features of Yoast, you definitely should install Yoast SEO. It is critical to the successful marketing of your site that you set it up during the early stages.

At one time I believe there was a tutorial related to its setup. Anyone else remember a tutorial and where it is located.

There is also a post on this blog that talks about the most common plugins that are used by other Symbiostock sites. See

http://www.symbiostock.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=906&hilit=plugins

The board has a great group of people that can help if you get stuck. My recommendation is take it slow and backup your files often!

scenicoregon
    Participant

Unless I’m confused, I believe I have Yoast SEO installed already. That’s the one that gives you colored circles rating each page for SEO, correct? I’m just not sure how to best use all of its features, most notably the Social options I’ve mentioned.
    Thanks

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

@scenicoregon wrote:

Unless I’m confused, I believe I have Yoast SEO installed already. That’s the one that gives you colored circles rating each page for SEO, correct? I’m just not sure how to best use all of its features, most notably the Social options I’ve mentioned.
    Thanks

Yes, Yoast will rate each page.

I also have Yoast SEO setup for twitter and Google + social media. You have to setup accounts for each of the social media before you can setup Yoast to connect with them.

The same is true for Jetpack social media if you have it.

I also have JetPack, with tends to mess up Yoast interface to Facebook. I have not successfully been able to use both while trying for a social media connection to Facebook. Something about the open graph meta data is being repeated to Facebook.

scenicoregon
    Participant

OK, thanks for the info. So, being a newbie to Twitter, I don’t have a firm understanding of what the twitter “CARDS” are that this plugin wants to generate. Is there an example you can point me to so that I know what it is creating?
    Thanks

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I don’t have an answer to your plugin question, but I would urge you to think about posting a huge stream of automated stuff – I think it works much better when there are some highlights and not too many at once.

I have unfollowed people a couple of times when I was sick of a meaningless stream of automated posts.

scenicoregon
    Participant

Hi JoAnn- I really appreciate words of wisdom from those who have gone before me. So…right now I’m doing one post a day, and don’t plan on upping that. Each of these posts fits within a theme. That doesn’t seem like “a huge stream” to me– does it to you? By the way, I’ve been seeing a lot of your stuff lately on Twitter. If anyone reading this is interested in following me, look for ScenicOregoncom.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.