Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of scenicoregon
    scenicoregon
    Participant

I’ve just set up as per the instructions here:
    http://www.symbiostock.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1262&p=12771&hilit=caching#p12771
    The instructions are a tad out of date, and don’t mention that I see how to set (in the Preloads tab) the setting:
    Refresh preloaded cache files every X minutes.
    Should that setting remain at disabled (0 minutes)- or some other setting? If the cached files are set to expire after 1 week, does that mean that the preloaded cache will disappear after a week? How does that affect the refresh setting?

Also, on that same tab, as instructed, I clicked on the buttons to “update settings” and “preload cache now”, with it set to email at the beginning of the job and the end of the job. I got the email indicating the preloading had initiated, but now, over an hour and half later, I’ve not yet received the email indicating that the preloading has completed. I’ve got about 540 images– how long should this preloading take?

scenicoregon
    Participant

Well, I’ve figured out part of this, thought I’d leave it up in case it benefits someone else.

I still don’t know about the settings question, but here’s what I’ve found out since on the amount of time (and some other issues along the way):

I let ended up cancelling the preload job, deleted the cache, turned on debug mode, and ran it again. After three hours, it had gotten less than half way through the job, was still running- but when I checked, it had only supercached only about half a dozen images. I saw in the debug log that it seemed to be skipping most of the images because of the default user agents it skips (including Google bot), and the Supercache support forums seemed split on just deleting the default user agent settings to get more pages cached and leaving them in because caching a lot of pages takes up a lot of server space (but then what is the point of preloading?).

I cancelled this preload job, deleted the cache, and deleted all of the default user agent settings but saved them so I could put them back in after the job ran, and ran the preload again. This time it was supercaching more images, so I let it run until it finished– it took over SIX HOURS, and all told still only supercached about 90 of my approx. 540 images. Figuring that was as good as it was going to get, I re-added the default user agent settings, and my plan is now:
    1. As an unlogged-in user, visit home and all the major destinations so that it builds cached pages of those for any it missed in the preload.
    2. Check things along the way to be sure everything is working right, like registration, image selection, purchasing– all the stuff that shouldn’t be completely static.
    3. If everything’s OK, run a few benchmark tests (Google has some tools) to see if the site is faster and whether this was all worth it.
    Here’s hoping.

scenicoregon
    Participant

Here’s an update to the saga– I found a problem in the user registration that I thought might be due to caching, so I turned off caching then turned it back on. That one single action deleted my entire supercache, SIX HOURS of preloading work gone just like that. I don’t know about this plugin, I’m thinking of dropping it.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I usually start my caching rebuild around 10pm at night – and it finishes by 6am or so. Do you set it up to get the emails as it caches posts? I normally find that I cache about 100 posts every 10 – 20 minutes or so.

I’m assuming you exclude the customer license and file management pages from caching as per the instructions.
    Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.