Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cthoman
    cthoman
    Participant

I was wondering why we only have 10 links. I wouldn’t mind opening up my site to a larger link exchange. Am I the only one thinking this or are there others?

Obviously I can add any page and links to my site, but the real purpose would be to have others link back to my site reciprocally. So, I was wondering if there was a broader interest in this and maybe the best way to organize it. I’m assuming by some sort of descriptive site categories. Any thoughts are welcome.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I would probably find it more useful to be able to block 10 (or whatever amount) sites from networking and automatically connect to the remaining sites. However, the network results should be shown in only ONE block instead of every single one separately.

Profile photo of ShazamImages
    ShazamImages
    Participant

@cthoman wrote:

I was wondering why we only have 10 links. I wouldn’t mind opening up my site to a larger link exchange. Am I the only one thinking this or are there others?

I think that it was set to 10 initially because there were worries about performance, but those worries seem to have dissipated.

I would also like to see more than 10 links.

I believe that linking is the single most important aspect of sales. The more links that you have coming to your website, then the more likely you are to show up on the first few pages on Google. And that is where I see the majority of traffic coming from.

@redneck wrote:

…the network results should be shown in only ONE block instead of every single one separately.

I remember making that suggestion a few months ago and it was shot down, but I don’t remember the reason why the person shot it down (and I believe that it was a relatively good reason).

I would love to see just one block on search results with mine at the top, followed by results from my network, then followed by everything else. And if a customer clicks on an image from someone else, then that image should be opened up in a new (separate) browser window. This way, my website still has focus in one of the browser sessions.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I know I’ve brought this up a couple of times in the past – I’d like to link to more than 10 sites

Profile photo of peresanz
    peresanz
    Participant

I opened a discussion regrding this issue here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1059

Now I think that after some time, having 15 links instead of 10 may make no difference because we can find ourselves blocked again with all the slots full and limited to link to new sites. Maybe we could link to a higher number of sites, e.g. 30, and the site may select 10-15 randomly when it has to show results every time an user runs a search…

ShazamImages
    Participant

@peresanz wrote:

…I think that after some time, having 15 links instead of 10 may make no difference…

I believe that it will make a difference, because the more incoming links a site has, then the higher their search rank will be in Google (and I believe that is one of the most important variables to getting sales).

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

@shazamimages wrote:

@peresanz wrote:

…I think that after some time, having 15 links instead of 10 may make no difference…

I believe that it will make a difference, because the more incoming links a site has, then the higher their search rank will be in Google (and I believe that is one of the most important variables to getting sales).

I think that was the case before “Hummingbird” came along.
    I believe “Hummingbird” was the reason that the entire Symbiostock networking idea took a serious hit in August/September 2013. That’s why I wouldn’t too optimistic about back and forth linking helping your site a lot.

ShazamImages
    Participant

@redneck wrote:

@shazamimages wrote:

@peresanz wrote:

I think that was the case before “Hummingbird” came along.
    I believe “Hummingbird” was the reason that the entire Symbiostock networking idea took a serious hit in August/September 2013. That’s why I wouldn’t too optimistic about back and forth linking helping your site a lot.

While traffic did go down at the end of Sept/start of October, it has rebounded nicely since then.

Google makes up about 85+% of the traffic that comes to our websites. We get almost nothing from Twitter, Facebook, Bing, etc.

I see all of this work done on language translations, Facebook, Twitter, ad infinitum, but none of that is driving much traffic to our sites at all. I understand that people want all of this functionality, but if nobody is coming to your website then it doesn’t matter one bit (except to the site owner of course).

So, IMHO, I think that the majority of new development work done on Symbiostock should be in trying to increase ranking on Google.

And one way of doing that would be to increase the number of links that come to our websites.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

I’ve listed several ways to increase backlinks

http://cascoly-images.com/pix/how-do-i-promote-my-symbiostock-photography-site/

but haven’t had much response

Profile photo of cthoman
    cthoman
    Participant

I was thinking just a page of text links. Nothing too fancy. Maybe, it’s a widget that can be added and maybe it connects to the mothership once a month to pull in new sites and content. I was looking at widget building, but the whole thing might be above my pay grade.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@cthoman wrote:

I was thinking just a page of text links. Nothing too fancy. Maybe, it’s a widget that can be added and maybe it connects to the mothership once a month to pull in new sites and content. I was looking at widget building, but the whole thing might be above my pay grade.

you could copy the listing of sym sites at symbiostock/marketing – it lists each site and its promoted keywords — of feel free to copy any of the reports generated by http://symbiostock-search.com

just do a ‘view source’ and copy the table that’s generated

Profile photo of cthoman
    cthoman
    Participant

@cascoly wrote:

@cthoman wrote:

you could copy the listing of sym sites at symbiostock/marketing – it lists each site and its promoted keywords — of feel free to copy any of the reports generated by http://symbiostock-search.com

just do a ‘view source’ and copy the table that’s generated

Thanks. I’ll take a look at that if I can get some of the other stuff figured out.

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

@cascoly wrote:

I’ve listed several ways to increase backlinks

http://cascoly-images.com/pix/how-do-i-promote-my-symbiostock-photography-site/

but haven’t had much response

This link appears to be dead. Is there a new one?

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

thanks for catching that — the link is now

http://cascoly-images.com/pix/symbiostock-network-how-do-i-promote/

I’d changed the page title while doing SEO — changed image names don’t seem to affect external links, but changing page names does!

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

I think we already have the links, if you go to a single image page click Info, then network, then extended network.

They just do not show up in searches. My site is so slow anyway (even with caching and bad behaviour etc) that adding more search results would probably not be the best idea for me

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.