Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Quite a few times I’ve found birds that fell out of nests, or birds that somehow were disadvantaged. So I take them in and it seems that they always die within 24 hours. Many times they don’t even look like they are in pain. But its like clockwork — its almost a given that they will die. Giving them food doens’t seem to make a difference either (I doubt they even eat it).

Do any of you nature photographers/general people know whats going on here? Are they just so easily traumatized that they die of fright or something?

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Quite often birds that “fall out of nests” are ready to leave but cannot yet fly. Contrary to popular belief many birds do not just fly the nest, they sort of topple out flapping and then live on or near the ground for a few days whilst their parents continue to visit and feed them. The UK Robin is especially good/bad at this, I imagine it is because when they are all in one place, the nest they are more vulnerable than they are when spread out.

When you give them food is it appropriate to their species?

If you have a wildlife rescue near you why not visit them and ask questions, they will probably tell you to leave the birds or take them into them but you may learn enough to help you to help them (and it would be a break from Symbiostock 🙂 )

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant
    Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Great article! Thanks for sharing, Martha. I own rescued parrots, so I know birds can starve quickly. And I knew deer and rabbits hide theirbabies in the grass while continuing to care for them (a deer attacked my dogs this year and gave them some nasty bruises), but I had no idea baby birds lived on the ground for a time before being able to fly.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

You guys are awesome! Thats way more than I expected. Yesterday what prompted me to write this is one of those little yellow birds we have here ( I know, not very descriptive) was hanging out in our rafters. He could barely fly, but although he appeared full grown he had that “i’m a new bird” clumsiness.

I’m going to be out today, I suspect everything should be good on auto-pilot. Thanks for the info guys 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.