Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

This is a warning for others, thinking of converting to VPS. I converted my site over to VPS as I was fed up of being “Throttled” on bandwidth. If you do this and you are on bluehost, the default image processor becomes GD library. Technical support will not help you change it from GD library to imagemagick. To do this needs a knowledge of SSH as I understand it.

I have now got the image processor set up as imagemajick, but its a real pain to get it converted.

The other thing you need to know is that it backs up both your site and the ENTIRE server every day. This is so kind of it. However, it uses your storage allowance to do it! Then if the server drive fills up, your site stops working.

You can access the root using sFTP to delete the server backups. Also, as Leo rightly said, on shared server they babysit you! On a VPS, they treat you as a professional and expect you to be able to sort everything out. Technical support doesn’t exist.

Profile photo of dianajo
    dianajo
    Participant

Anyone thinking of setting up a VPS without a lot of technical knowledge can check out Craigslist resumés for your area and look for a unemployed sys admin with Linux experience. We had to set up a VPS at a small biz I was working for and after a day of trying to figure it out, I decided to call in support. 😉

We located someone out of work with a solid background in *nix servers and paid him for a few hours of his time. Absolutely worth the money. If you do this, have them come to you so you can see what they’re up to… and trust your gut if you feel like they might be shady.

I’m on what you might say is a learning curve

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

Good luck with that, Mark. Sounds much too hairy-scary for me!

Profile photo of Spectral-design.net
    Spectral-design.net
    Participant

Mark, I am very sorry that you had a difficult experience. Let me make some notes to your comments since I think it is not just to make those comments generalized for every VPS:

1. There are managed and unmanaged VPS servers. The managed one are usually a bit more expensive but the hosting company will give you support and resolves issues with the system for you (but not for the script you install of course).

2. I do not know what Bluehost offers but there are tremendous differnecies between hosting companies. Personally I do not like them very much and their VPS offer seemed to be rather expensive.

3. The SSH is oftenly scaring people but in the end it is a quite easy thing to handle if you have a talent for technology. Most times you can just google what you need alongside with your Host OS and you will find solutions fast. Same goes for error messages which may appear. Just google them with your OS.
    Nevertheless I realize that you have to have a certain Talent for Computers and their Logic. Want to say: it is not for everyone to dig in SSH, but you can always go for a managed with a good hosting company.

I hope this helps…

@Spectral-design.net wrote:

Mark, I am very sorry that you had a difficult experience. Let me make some notes to your comments since I think it is not just to make those comments generalized for every VPS:

1. There are managed and unmanaged VPS servers. The managed one are usually a bit more expensive but the hosting company will give you support and resolves issues with the system for you (but not for the script you install of course).

2. I do not know what Bluehost offers but there are tremendous differnecies between hosting companies. Personally I do not like them very much and their VPS offer seemed to be rather expensive.

3. The SSH is oftenly scaring people but in the end it is a quite easy thing to handle if you have a talent for technology. Most times you can just google what you need alongside with your Host OS and you will find solutions fast. Same goes for error messages which may appear. Just google them with your OS.
    Nevertheless I realize that you have to have a certain Talent for Computers and their Logic. Want to say: it is not for everyone to dig in SSH, but you can always go for a managed with a good hosting company.

I hope this helps…

I have got a web design company to switch the program from gd library to imagemagick for me. That solved that problem. The only other problem I have at the moment is a error log file that builds at an exponential rate 2GB per 12 hours. However, I’m working on that.

Other than that, actually I’m pleased with my VPS. It certainly is a lot better than shared hosting. Also I can host multiple sites off of it. This is very useful

Thanks for the info by the way about the managed and unmanaged I never knew that.

Overall if I’m honest would I prefer VPS or shared. Now everything is getting sorted I’d rather have VPS

I was able to process a 400MB video without killing it this morning! I don’t know if that would be achieveable on a shared server.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.