Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

My site was running slowly and so I contacted BlueHost support. I was told my site was being throttled because of processes running that were taking more than my fair share of the server. There is a link explaining the process:
    https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/564

I moved to the Premium plugin this morning although the throttling started 7 hours ago. Does the premium plugin start running a whole lot of background tasks that would be causing this?

Apparently, the throttling stops once the underlying issue is removed.

Steve

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

My site at BH was just as slow as yours without the Premium plugin and even without throttling. You can check the “throttling status” (what a BS) at https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/cpu_status .

I said it before, I think BH is not a good choice to base an online business on.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Yes, my throttling seems to have gone now – so perhaps it was rebuilding the database from the premium package, but that doesn’t explain yours. My homepage is still loading in 12 seconds so that isn’t good. BlueHost support was fast and OK, but I may investigate one of their VPS packages. Trouble is, those are storage limited.

Steve

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Its a bit chicken and egg though – if your site is too slow in responding, then some people (potential buyers) will give up. I lost my buyer for some reason part way through his transaction – we had issues with no registration email, and then I suspect something then made him decide not to buy the image he finally put in the shopping cart. He is unresponsive to me, now – a bit like my site!!

Steve

Edit – – my test just now was a 22 second home page load time. Many people would have given up at this stage

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

While we are on BlueHost – has anyone else noticed that (on WP 3.6.1) you get the following bar on the top of the edit image page:
    Connection lost. Saving has been disabled until you’re reconnected. We’re backing up this post in your browser, just in case.

I’ve been seeing that quite a lot recently and it doesn’t seem to be an issue with my local internet connection.

Steve

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

@steveh wrote:

While we are on BlueHost – has anyone else noticed that (on WP 3.6.1) you get the following bar on the top of the edit image page:
    Connection lost. Saving has been disabled until you’re reconnected. We’re backing up this post in your browser, just in case.

I’ve been seeing that quite a lot recently and it doesn’t seem to be an issue with my local internet connection.

Steve

I’ve seen that quite a few times. I hadn’t connected it with WordPress 3.6.1 (I can’t remember if I saw it before I upgraded). I have a fast and generally very reliable internet connection, so I assumed it was some flakiness at Bluehost that was responsible.

To date, I haven’t lost anything, so I guess I am curious as to what’s up, but not overly concerned. Do you think this is a new error message for something that’s always happened but previously wasn’t reported to the user?

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Do you think this is a new error message for something that’s always happened but previously wasn’t reported to the user?

I think it is new in 3.6 or 3.6.1 – part of the very secure backing up that they now do to avoid any loss of your long post before you have chance to publish it.

Not sure why it is happening so much with my stock site though.

Steve

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

One thing that can cause throttling sometimes is if you have a LARGE site and your daily updates are running. Your site updates itself for network aggregators like http://www.symbiostock.info, and thats the same as dumping all image info into several files. So if you have 4000 images, your database is going to need some room to work for that time!

I’m not aware of anything else that could cause throttling.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

One thing that might help is a simple small option to allow updates ever x days. Right now once a day the updater runs. But perhaps you could set it for every few days or weeks. –I’d have to build it in.

CPU throttling on uploads…there’s no way to change that. Its like trying to run photoshop on a server. Its like making a Greyhound do the work of a Rottweiler.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@steveh wrote:

Steve

I’m seeing that too. But since I’m not at home base, depending on wifi, I thought it was just me. Guess not.

Profile photo of ShazamImages
    ShazamImages
    Participant

I’m on GoDaddy and (in general) don’t have the issues discussed in this thread. Pages load within a second or so and I don’t believe that GoDaddy throttles web sites.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Interesting (or worrying!)

I reported that my site was being throttled for most of the morning yesterday, but then it stopped around noon. I checked this morning and the throttling started again at 6am eastern time. My database backup ran at midnight without issues, I’m obviously not adding new images at 6am.

When I check current processes I get:
    backyay9 11357 11.5 0.2 358052 79608 ? R 06:59 0:01 | _ /ramdisk/bin/php5 /home1/backyay9/public_html/wp-cron.php
    backyay9 11724 15.0 0.1 338360 60080 ? R 06:59 0:00 | _ /ramdisk/bin/php5 /home1/backyay9/public_html/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php

The wp-cron.php is a file that schedules activity, doesn’t it. I asked this elsewhere – does the site start indexing itself and creating the network files at 6am?

I’ve also been regularly checking load times of my home page – it averaged 12 seconds throughout the night, but is now 16 seconds. No wonder I don’t get sales – no-one stays around for that sort of performance.

Steve

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Can I come back on this CPU Throttling. I am still getting this each morning from about 6am Eastern Time for 4 hours or so. Almost a full hour of throttling each hour. As a result, my page load performance is terrible – now up to about 10 seconds after I have been working on adding new images.

Am I the only one on Bluehost with CPU throttling, in which case I can look for the reason my site is different. At the moment I have the daily update of image files turned off.

I’m seriously looking at moving to a VPS hosting package as I am finding it really hard to add new images the way it is performing.

Steve

@steveh wrote:

Can I come back on this CPU Throttling. I am still getting this each morning from about 6am Eastern Time for 4 hours or so. Almost a full hour of throttling each hour. As a result, my page load performance is terrible – now up to about 10 seconds after I have been working on adding new images.

Am I the only one on Bluehost with CPU throttling, in which case I can look for the reason my site is different. At the moment I have the daily update of image files turned off.

I’m seriously looking at moving to a VPS hosting package as I am finding it really hard to add new images the way it is performing.

Steve

I had the same problem, initially i moved to the pro shared hosting and that reduced the throttling. Then I moved to VPS. Do be warned though VPS needs to have imagemajick installed on server

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.