Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dp69_2001
    dp69_2001
    Participant

I’ll start off with that I’m not a good illustrator, in fact … I’m terrible. I do this for fun, and sales are exciting.

Symbiostock is/was really exciting for me, working on my own terms. Taking care of my own stuff in a way. It’s from me, it’s not from some shit agency where they distribute your content on a dozen other sites without you even knowing. I made 1 dollar on my most widely used image last year but, I find it exciting that people are using my content, my images … and they are paying for them. Even if it is at a fraction.

What I mean to say, is that I was ready to go exclusive. For me at least, this is part-time or less. It’s supposed to be fun. I draw, I illustrate, for fun. The one symbio sale brought in 10 times what my most widely used image did and my symbio site is very competitively priced.

I understand that everyone was confused with Leo’s direction of Symbiostock.com … There’s not a single one of us that don’t want more buyers. But, in reality, He is in charge of this project and he made that decision in the right direction. There’s not one single person in the world that is going to need an image and think … Shit, I should search for symbiostock … The only people that are going to be on Symbiostock.com, are the people that know about it. I was confused at first too but, He’s devoted to this project and I hope we didn’t ruin it for him.

I’ve been pretty discouraged for the last few weeks, I’ve had stuff drawn that I haven’t even scanned. The recent crap on the forum hasn’t made it any better … You people expect one person to take care of every technical issue, every social issue, and every SEO issue … I really hope you didn’t run him off.

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

I think I understand some of your feelings. I’ve also been there on and off. I’ve been busy with another huge project in my life so I haven’t really had time to put much effort into SymbioStock. I hope to change all of that in the near future.

What I would like to address is just something based on my own experiences so far. Firstly while we are on the SymbioStock network, we really are selling individual sites with images and the images themselves. It does take time and some effort to grasp the SEO (search engine optimisation) and getting your site to index on search engines.

I put in a lot of time and effort and it just all seemed kind of pointless after a while. I still haven’t made a single sale in about 4 or 5 months (I think) that my site has been up but it has done several things for me personally. I’ve also recently started spotting one or two of my images on a Google image search! That is a break through and it is how we will eventually generate sales I think.

For me, my SymbioStock site actually boosts my normal dot.com and vice-versa. SymbioStock also taught me many things to do with WordPress and I now apply the that knowledge across both sites.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say that it takes a bit of time for a website to “mature” and start getting noticed and hits. A little patience is a good thing 🙂

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@dp69_2001 wrote:

You people expect one person to take care of every technical issue, every social issue, and every SEO issue … I really hope you didn’t run him off.

Well, gee, as one of “you people” who dared express an opinion, which others also dared to agree with, I guess I feel compelled to respond.

I have not asked Leo to take care of my uploading, my tagging, my social network promotion, my SEO. Those things are my responsibility, and I’ve actually handled them pretty well. At least 40% of my images are bright green on Yoast, and I did that work myself. My images are easy to find on Google, and I did that work myself.

I could respond to other aspects of your comment, but I won’t.

However, I will repeat what I said before: if we who have spent the better part of a year cheerfully learning, building, and contributing what we can to this overall effort are not free to express one simple opinion without being labeled “you people” who may have “run him off,” then perhaps SYS really has turned into a cult, as some have accused.

Personally, I don’t believe it is that. I wouldn’t have signed up last June for some kind of cult, and I wouldn’t stick with it now if I felt it was.

I’m grateful for what Leo has done with SYS, and I’m quite sure he knows it. I’d like to see him take more breaks from it. What I don’t appreciate is having others come here and point “you people” fingers. That really is not helpful to our sense of community.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

It’s especially bad when someone points the “you people” or “a bunch of whiners” (on MSG) finger at several people who’ve been doing a lot of pitching in and promoting and helping out, but agreed with one suggestion they thought would be helpful for *everyone.* Martha in particular has been a huge cheerleader and incredibly helpful on the forums, and she hires people from within the Symbiostock network and pays them for their work.

I don’t see Symbiostock as an agent or an agency, and I don’t expect Leo to hand me buyers. Just the opposite—I (and some other very nice people who’ve chipped in with money, time and expertise) have gone out of my way to try to attract buyers to the network as a whole, not just to my own site.

Now feel I was incredibly stupid to try to promote Symbiostock.

And I definitely feel that my opinions are not welcome here, especially after the thread was deleted.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Shelma – have you read – http://www.symbiostock.com/symbiostock-com-year-updates/#comment-3498 – I think you will see just how much Leo (and others) appreciate you

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

dp69_2001
    Participant

@shelma1 wrote:

It’s especially bad when someone points the “you people” or “a bunch of whiners” (on MSG) finger at several people who’ve been doing a lot of pitching in and promoting and helping out, but agreed with one suggestion they thought would be helpful for *everyone.* Martha in particular has been a huge cheerleader and incredibly helpful on the forums, and she hires people from within the Symbiostock network and pays them for their work.

Sorry if this post offended any of YOU PEOPLE, I really meant us in general, it wasn’t meant to be an attack or anything. I know that both, Martha and Shelma have spent their great deal of time helping this project along and promoting others.

Hopefully, he’s just burned out and will return. He’s needed some time off for a while.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

If you had meant to include yourself in “you people,” you would have said “WE.” You made it very clear who “you people” were, thanks to “the recent crap on the forum.”

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

“You people…?” 😯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzUc3Eqzzos

( Please watch that youtube video its funny )

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

@leo wrote:

“You people…?” 😯

“That Anger Management video is not available in your Country!”

It’s made me people very angry! 😀

Jo

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

🙄 Can’t we get over this? Leo obviously had a very bad day and was more than edgy when he rolled out Symbiostock.com and reasonable debate started here. I hope he learns from that experience and I also hope everyone here can overcome hurt feelings. Now, let’s move on…

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

@Imago Borealis wrote:

🙄 Can’t we get over this? Leo obviously had a very bad day and was more than edgy when he rolled out Symbiostock.com and reasonable debate started here. I hope he learns from that experience and I also hope everyone here can overcome hurt feelings. Now, let’s move on…

+1

When I joined Symbiostock last April the forum was a highly productive place and it was like that for many months. But in the last weeks when I open this forum and MSG having my first coffee in the morning I allways ask myself what might have happended over night.
    I really, really would like to get back to productiveness …

dp69_2001
    Participant

@leo wrote:

“You people…?” 😯

I love that movie!
    I couldn’t find this thread over the weekend. I thought it’d been deleted.

@jsfoto wrote:

@Imago Borealis wrote:

+1

When I joined Symbiostock last April the forum was a highly productive place and it was like that for many months. But in the last weeks when I open this forum and MSG having my first coffee in the morning I allways ask myself what might have happended over night.
    I really, really would like to get back to productiveness …

We should certainly move on. I’m sorry I offended you guys. Everyone’s been working hard on this project I forget how defensive WE can be. 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.