Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

OK this is not Symbio specific, I wonder if anyone else has any experience on why this is happening.

I have keywords entered into IPTC but on some of my files they are coming across as one big long keyword not separated. It has happened on another site that I know of too so I am sure it is something wrong with my file … I am wondering if anyone has any clues as to why it might be happening.

I will admit that I am not sure if it is keywords entered via Photoshop or in the Windows File environment.

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

When you open an image on your computer with ExifTool or similar software, what do you see?

Profile photo of Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

I downloaded exiftool but wasnt sure what I was seeing …. if I look in Adobe Bridge all the keywords look like they are comma separated.
    But on some files it shows as one word. I am guessing more research is needed … its just a tad annoying not to be able to work it out.

Profile photo of Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

I have worked it out, looking at the files that have not copied correctly, something has inserted quote marks in … so the IPTC is seeing it as one keyword …. now to work out why this happened …

Profile photo of Ariene
    Ariene
    Participant

I have the same problem but I was preparing files with IPTC for Alamy mostly and so I didn’t use commas. That makes one big keyword 😉 Now I have to re-edit and fix all my 1,6k files…
    Adding commas in photoshop helps.

Quote marks makes different to. And this one ‘
    It destoyed all my descriptions as well. So we can’t use any special marks.

Profile photo of Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

That would have been annoying Ariene. I think what has happened is that I pasted the keywords in the file area in windows… lesson learned, will do it all in PS now.
    I try not to use special characters anywhere because they never translate properly.

Profile photo of Ariene
    Ariene
    Participant

@wendy wrote:

… I think what has happened is that I pasted the keywords in the file area in windows… lesson learned, will do it all in PS now…

Same here! 👿 I was to lazy to open file in PS… Many images data are bad now.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

another factor is that the characters dash, quote & double quote do not generate the same ascii codes on all keyboards, esp international ones – so even programs that strip out quotes can get confused

Profile photo of Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

@ariene wrote:

@wendy wrote:

… I think what has happened is that I pasted the keywords in the file area in windows… lesson learned, will do it all in PS now…

Same here! 👿 I was to lazy to open file in PS… Many images data are bad now.

Oh dear …. I guess we made more work for ourselves trying to do things the easy way … 😳

@cascoly wrote:

another factor is that the characters dash, quote & double quote do not generate the same ascii codes on all keyboards, esp international ones – so even programs that strip out quotes can get confused

Good to know … not to self don’t use special characters … ever! 😐

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.