Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I’ve been working hard adding new images to my site, and I do it by opening multiple browser windows for similar images and copy and paste my improved descriptions to each one then publish. I notice that it starts really fast, but after processing 30 or so, each screen takes longer to initially connect and then update or publish the page.

It gets over it after a while, but is this because the database/theme is processing through similar images and doing a lot of work when I add a lot of images? I don’t think this is an issue as I don’t spend my life adding images (although it feels like it) – just trying to increase my knowledge of how things are working.

steve

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

Honestly? I do all my work in the meta tags for several reasons. For One, I can cut and paste off line. Secondly once it is done, it is done permanently. Third, when you need to re-upload for any reason you don’t have to do it all again.

I just upload, process, and then categorise and do the licences.

Jo

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Hi Jo

The reason I’m doing it like this is to add a lot more specificity in my descriptions and in that SEO metadata line. Many of my images also go to Shutterstock and the like and there are limits to the description – 200 characters. In the Symbio site I can bold certain words and give a fuller description where helpful. I’m hoping that will help in the Google rankings.

Steve

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

@steveh wrote:

Hi Jo

The reason I’m doing it like this is to add a lot more specificity in my descriptions and in that SEO metadata line. Many of my images also go to Shutterstock and the like and there are limits to the description – 200 characters. In the Symbio site I can bold certain words and give a fuller description where helpful. I’m hoping that will help in the Google rankings.

Steve

Ah ok! That does make sense. I try to keep my descriptions short so I haven’t seen the 200 characters become a problem for me. I also stick to 50 keywords max which seems to work across the board.

I haven’t gotten around to looking much into the SEO Meta areas. Maybe one day with patience.

Jo

Profile photo of Juliet
    Juliet
    Participant

The more I work on my website, the slower the pages on WordPress load for me. After awhile I have to give up for the day because each update can take over 30 seconds to complete.

Just new today, my site was running very slowly this morning, and now it starts to load but never finishes. I only uploaded one photo today. When I log out of WordPress and check my site when logged out, everything loads just fine. I’m guessing a WordPress issue?

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Hi Juliet

Your site works fine for me tonight. I think that the database updates (to create the similar images tables) does take up quite a bit of the processing of the site when you are adding many images. Also, I used to find that my site was often throttled (by Bluehost) in the mornings and so was slow then.

If you let it finish its updating, then everything should get back to normal again

Steve

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

browsers & programs like wp, forums, photoshop et al don’t always clear memory when files or images are closed, so you can get slowdowns because your computer’s shifting between fast RAM and slower HD

depending on your comfort level:

in windows & IE, run the task manager (ctl-alt-del)) and check ‘performance’ to see how much memory is being used. also check under ‘processes’ to see how many copies of iexplore.exe*32 are running & how big they are.
    if this happens, just close all browser windows and restart the browser; then, if ‘applications’ shows no browser sessions open, and ‘processes’ does show some, click on those copies of iexplore.exe*32 and ‘end process’

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.