Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

…and I think it shouldn’t!

The problem was that I searched for border on my site and a bunch of unrelated images were included in the results. Looking at them (and checking that none of my keywords or descriptions had the word in it) I realized it was all my editorial images – none of which are of borders.

I have a gif file trumpeting Editorial Use Only in the descriptions and the HTML for that is:

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

I ran a search for “Editorial-Use-Only” and it doesn’t turn up on your search on my end. What did you search for exactly? I can try it again.

Something else you can go look at is if that gif has been published? You can change it back to unpublished and under media it shows up under unattached. It will still load when you insert it into documents but it shouldn’t show up under a search.

Jo

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Editorial-Use-Only wouldn’t show up as it isn’t in the description string as a whole word (I have whole word only checked to avoid finding things in the middle of a larger word).

So width, height, editorial use only (with spaces), border, margin, class, img and so on all turn up the 48 editorial images currently uploaded.

I don’t think changing the status of the gif will help as it’s the text string (HTML) in the description of my image that’s being found, and that will still be there

JoRodrigues
    Participant

@jsnover wrote:

Editorial-Use-Only wouldn’t show up as it isn’t in the description string as a whole word (I have whole word only checked to avoid finding things in the middle of a larger word).

So width, height, editorial use only (with spaces), border, margin, class, img and so on all turn up the 48 editorial images currently uploaded.

I don’t think changing the status of the gif will help as it’s the text string (HTML) in the description of my image that’s being found, and that will still be there

Oh I think I misunderstood before 🙂 You are referring to it showing up like on the Symbio search and on search engines?

Jo

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Right – in the search on my live site I’m seeing images that show up that shouldn’t.

I went to Cathy’s life and did a search (she’s in my network) and a search there for border will have those images show up on my site.

Not sure about external search engines, but it makes the search look broken or makes me look like a keyword spammer!

JoRodrigues
    Participant

@jsnover wrote:

Right – in the search on my live site I’m seeing images that show up that shouldn’t.

I went to Cathy’s life and did a search (she’s in my network) and a search there for border will have those images show up on my site.

Not sure about external search engines, but it makes the search look broken or makes me look like a keyword spammer!

I do understand. I’m sure there is some code work that will pass on to the search engine not to index the image file.

Unfortunately I can’t help much as we had a power failure earlier today and then windows simply decided not to load not mater what I did. So just I bit the bullet, took win 8 off the shelf and reinstalling with that for the first time.

Couple of suggestions off the top of my head… What you can try is to upload the image to the server manually and then copy the direct link to it and use that in your code? It might not index it that way. So just manually create a folder somewhere on the server called “SiteImages” or something and put it in there. There is a chance that it may not index if it is not “part” of the site’s database as such.

Look up perhaps how to force a non index on files perhaps too? Might be a simple enough bit of code.

Jo

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.