Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of scenicoregon
    scenicoregon
    Participant

I’d categorize it as rough but functional, but ScenicOregon.com/webpics2/ has launched. My collection is small for now, but will grow as the site starts to see some activity. I focus on scenics of Oregon, with a smattering of other material. My day job is a middle-school science teacher, but I’ve been active in photography and the photographic industry for 35 years.

I realize the power of Symbiostock is its networking, and yet that is the feature I least understand how to really implement, so any help and partners welcome!

Thanks
    Rick Bures

Profile photo of CrackerClips
    CrackerClips
    Participant

Hey Rick….welcome! I lived in Oregon for many years and now live just over the border in Washington. You’ve got some nice work on your site. It’ll be great to see it grow.

Best,
    Bryan

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Welcome. I love your images – I’m just a little further north, on Seattle’s Eastside.

One comment about your site is that for older eyes (i.e. mine!) I find the text shadow on the image descriptions makes it very hard to read. As the text is quite small and is light on a dark background, the text ends up looking blurry.

There’s not much to the networking in terms of finding other sites, but I’ll respond in the other thread on that

Profile photo of anhvabe
    anhvabe
    Participant

@jsnover wrote:

Welcome. I love your images – I’m just a little further north, on Seattle’s Eastside.

One comment about your site is that for older eyes (i.e. mine!) I find the text shadow on the image descriptions makes it very hard to read. As the text is quite small and is light on a dark background, the text ends up looking blurry.

There’s not much to the networking in terms of finding other sites, but I’ll respond in the other thread on that

+1 to this.

I think you should change your appearance so the content will be easier to read.
    Light grey text on a white background is not a good idea for me 🙁

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

great site — you should add it to your profile here and as part of your signature

altho i’m from seattle now, my Oregon portion of my site is far larger

took a quick look at your animals game- well done! — I’ve had several similar over the years, including a dinosaur trivia game

my game designing has been on hold for some years now, while I’ve done some demos for online ecology games and a global scavenger hunt game. been looking for people interested in working on these.

http://cascoly.com/games/food/main.asp
    http://cascoly.com/games/triv/gcmain.asp

it’s also another way to SEO/advertise by adding your sym images with links to your site

Profile photo of scenicoregon
    scenicoregon
    Participant

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. I, too, am frustrated by the text, and I’ll continue to work on it, but I am working within some limitations. First, I blundered recently when I updated from 2.5.5 to a more modern version, and never got my child theme activated. Since I’m working in the main theme, I don’t want to change the CSS, and that limits me to what is available in the customizer. The real problem is that the site appears so differently in different browsers: In Firefox and Chrome, there is a shadow on the text that does not appear in IE. In IE, the text for the picture description is much darker than it is in Firefox and Chrome. In Firefox and Chrome, I have a dark gradation for title bars, which appears white in IE. And so on… It makes editing pretty frustrating. I may have to go for a middle-tone grey text that’ll be visible whether the background is light or dark.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.