Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RuthBlack
    RuthBlack
    Participant

Hi,

I’m down to my last 100 images left to upload and almost ready to remove the “Website under Construction” notice on my site – the only thing stopping me is the problem that when moving between pages of search results, whether by keyword or category, the same images keep cropping up on different pages. My portfolio is fairly niche so this happens a lot and makes it virtually impossible for buyers to browse my site without seeing the same pictures over and over again.

I see that other people have noticed the same thing and resolved it by changing some code – however I am a total beginner with WordPress and not keen to get involved in that as I really don’t know what I’m doing.

I really just wanted to know if there’s going to be a fix coming out for this in the near future, as I’m keen to launch officially!

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

I’ll try to give this a look. WordPress messes up pagination due to the ranking system. I’m actually thinking of removing the rank system all together.

Profile photo of ShazamImages
    ShazamImages
    Participant

@leo wrote:

WordPress messes up pagination due to the ranking system. I’m actually thinking of removing the rank system all together.

Why? Is there a way to fix this? If I knew what was wrong, I might try and fix it.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Your probably fine. I’m going to put up a thread at WordPress. But generally it seems this method of ordering images by rank is not being properly handled by wordpress itself. I’m going to double check, but it seems to bother a lot of people. I’ll get back on this one.

ShazamImages
    Participant

@leo wrote:

Your probably fine. I’m going to put up a thread at WordPress. But generally it seems this method of ordering images by rank is not being properly handled by wordpress itself. I’m going to double check, but it seems to bother a lot of people. I’ll get back on this one.

If you can, post a link to the thread and I will try to follow it and do some investigation myself.

Profile photo of RuthBlack
    RuthBlack
    Participant

@leo wrote:

I’ll try to give this a look. WordPress messes up pagination due to the ranking system. I’m actually thinking of removing the rank system all together.

Thanks very much Leo, really appreciate it

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

I had this problem too, but I dont use the ranking system, its fixed by changing 4 lines of code

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

I had this problem too, but I dont use the ranking system, its fixed by changing 4 lines of code

Can you quickly tell me where those are located again?

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Leo, this is the post AJT sent in MSG

Ron, 2.4.9 had bugs, so I don’t recommend downgrading. You like to edit php files, so maybe when waiting for new version, edit network-manager.php (in symbiostock/inc/classes/network-manager).

Go to lines 1477-1500. There will be three times ‘order’ => ‘ASC’, change all to ‘order’ => ‘DESC’.

Then go to comment
    //temporary function until everyone has toggled their theme and is equal to or above 2.4.9

and below change
    if( $image_rank_update == true ){
    to
    if( $image_rank_update == false ){

now you should have old sort order.

This is temporary change, we don’t know, what will be in next versions 🙂

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Great. Either I’m going to make a “deactivate” option or see if there is a deeper fix which I haven’t found yet.

ShazamImages
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

That doesn’t fix the issue. That just changes the sort order to the date. I know that some people like sorting by date, but I would rather sort by rank (without the issue of having images show up multiple times).

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Thats why I mentioned I dont use the ranking system.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant
    edit network-manager.php (in symbiostock/inc/classes/network-manager).

Go to lines 1489-1520. There will be three times 'order' => 'ASC', change all to 'order' => 'DESC'.

Then go to comment
    //temporary function until everyone has toggled their theme and is equal to or above 2.4.9

and below change
    if( $image_rank_update == true ){
    to
    if( $image_rank_update == false ){

now you should have old sort order.
    ShazamImages
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

Thats why I mentioned I dont use the ranking system.

Yes, but then you said:

@Semmick Photo wrote:

…its fixed by changing 4 lines of code

which gave the impression that there was a fix for the issue.

I would like to find out what the actual issue is and fix it. I would rather not use a workaround and change the sort order to the date.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.