Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

There are two points of focus people seem to want the most:

1. People want the batch editor to only assign chosen/selected attributes to a set of images per editing run.
    2. People want an easier licensing system.

Without a great deal of detail, I’ll let you know this is my next focus within a short time.

The LICENSE system is going to use a slightly more wordpress compatible system, where a LICENSE is going to be a custom post type, with its own options. Other than edit ability and simplicity, there should not be many changes.

And simply stated, the batch editor will have selection boxes to confirm which values are being assigned to the set of images in question.

So in a nutshell – we’re just cleaning up and simplifying.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

PS – try to say the word “Specificity” three times without messing it up.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I’m really good at saying things fast – do I win something? 🙂

I’m happy this will get some Leo-love soon. I would like to ask that it be possible to apply licenses by default to new uploads, but if that isn’t possible, can the batch editor (a) do apply to all (whole portfolio) and/or (b) display portfolio in date order so we can easily apply licenses to images just uploaded where Categories, keywords or other attributes really don’t help in selecting the items we need to assign licenses to.

Please and thank you 🙂

Profile photo of CrackerClips
    CrackerClips
    Participant

That’s great to hear Leo! A more robust batch editor allowing changes to just specific attributes will be a BIG help.

As for point two is there any chance of implementing something like the open source plus packs calculator: http://www.stockartistsalliance.org/pluspacks/index.htm to make the licensing of Rights Managed images complete within symbiostock.

In my opinion, this would be the way to move forward with RM licensing in a way that is easy and understandable for the buyer as well as opening symbiostock to the many RM shooters who will otherwise not participate. Also, this calculator is from the Plus Coalition ( https://www.plusregistry.org ) which may end up playing a big role in the future of stock licensing.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@leo wrote:

1. People want the batch editor to only assign chosen/selected attributes to a set of images per editing run.

Without a great deal of detail, I’ll let you know this is my next focus within a short time.

The LICENSE system is going to use a slightly more wordpress compatible system, where a LICENSE is going to be a custom post type, with its own options. Other than edit ability and simplicity, there should not be many changes.

And simply stated, the batch editor will have selection boxes to confirm which values are being assigned to the set of images in question.

re batch edits — right now, if you try to delete a category or keyword from a selected group of images, it deletes that category or keyword ENTIRELY, making the selection of images irrelevant — this is a bigger problem

also for batch edit – can you add the ability to add specific text to a group of images?
    eg, need to be able to add “this image is part of collection XXX” to the group of images rather than having to edit each image individually

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

Perhaps a thought to keep in mind with licences and the editor is that at some point we will have to change the global prices. What is the best way to do this? If you have one price across the board then you just change everything to the same values.

If you have Standard/Extended/RM etc. there needs to be a way of targeting those types of files only. I had thought that perhaps enabling hidden categories might be a way to go. If there was a way to do so we could set up “back of house” categories or some sort of filter to apply to the files.

Not sure how you would implement it but this is just by way of explanation. Some people have just tried to dismiss my idea as unimportant but I want to see someone say that when they have 5000 files in different licences and want to put up the prices!

Is there a way to associate the image page with the licence? That way if you change the actual licence details it changes the image pages across the board or when they load. It’s an intelligent way to work with a database.

This also enables the X% off everything during the next X period type of promotion some people like.

Jo

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

^^^ I have been saying that all along about the batch editor ??

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

I ran into this software by reading this article which I found linked in the sys forum.

http://www.cradocfotosoftware.com/fotoQuote-Pro/index.html

http://strobist.blogspot.ie/2013/10/your-real-estate-agent-would-like-some.html

FotoQuote – pricing tool, anybody using it? Can we use something like this for RM on our sites?

Profile photo of Matt
    Matt
    Participant

Filter by date on the batch editor would be useful, so I can assign categories per batch uploaded on any specific day.
    Ability to assign ‘rank’ independently – so I don’t mess up any other settings when improving my search results.

License system is good, being able to edit any created licences would be perfect.

By and large the theme is becoming more and more user friendly, great work 🙂

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@jorodrigues wrote:

….
    If you have Standard/Extended/RM etc. there needs to be a way of targeting those types of files only. I had thought that perhaps enabling hidden categories might be a way to go. If there was a way to do so we could set up “back of house” categories or some sort of filter to apply to the files.

Not sure how you would implement it but this is just by way of explanation. Some people have just tried to dismiss my idea as unimportant but I want to see someone say that when they have 5000 files in different licences and want to put up the prices!

Is there a way to associate the image page with the licence? That way if you change the actual licence details it changes the image pages across the board or when they load. It’s an intelligent way to work with a database.

…..

Jo

I agree it’s a problem that needs to be addressed at some point. the batch editor in the pro version lets you do this now, but you need to know which images need updating, as you can’t (currently select by price)

don’t get me started tho on the wp db – it violates just about every principle of db design, but it’s what we have and leo’s done an incredible job to make the wp system do what he needs

ideally prices would not be stored with the images. instead the image would have a ‘pricelist’ field that points to a record in a pricing table. eg pricelistA would be standard prices, pricelistB would be for older, discounted images, or editorial, etc

then, by changing pricelistA, all images using that would be updated immediately without having to actually change any of the images themselves. thus instead of 1 set of default prices, you could have as many sets as you liked. those who have only one set wouldn’t have to do anything. if I remember correctly, smugmug uses a system something like this

but it wouldn’t be a simple change..

Profile photo of Matt
    Matt
    Participant

Ability to delete images from the batch editor – Managing duplicate / poor images would be much easier from the batch editor.

See all images at once, filter by date, price etc for managing large portfolios.

Like the others have said ‘pricing profiles’ that can be assigned to multiple images would be the ideal – Photoshelter works like this and it is really useful. Like Cascoly says this sounds like a lot of work though!

Profile photo of Russell
    Russell
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

I ran into this software by reading this article which I found linked in the sys forum.

http://www.cradocfotosoftware.com/fotoQuote-Pro/index.html

http://strobist.blogspot.ie/2013/10/your-real-estate-agent-would-like-some.html

FotoQuote – pricing tool, anybody using it? Can we use something like this for RM on our sites?

Fotoquote is what PhotoShelter use as their RM calculator. However, AFAIK, Cradoc Software no longer support it and it is wildly overoptimistic in its pricing compared to the likes of Alamy. On PhotoShelter, I apply a 50%-ish discount to all of my RM pricing to correct for this, following the lead of what other stock shooters on PS do. On the other hand, I can construct as many pricing profiles as I like – one for unreleased editorial, another for general use RM, another that applies “mates’ rates” when appropriate.

As for other suggestions on this thread, yes please.

Profile photo of DonLand
    DonLand
    Participant

@leo wrote:

Glad to read this. I just ran into the problem again in Batch Editor. As it is now I can’t use it because I don’t want to change the MR status as there are some with and some without MRs but I need to change the exclusivity status.

I’ll just wait on it until the update.

Thanks Leo

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Is 2.9.5 out?

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

This is underway. In the meantime, enjoy all the wonderful stability 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.