Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Simply
    Simply
    Participant

Hi,

Sometime ago I said I was ready to create a symbiostock website . Now I am hesitating again. Here are my issues so maybe you can help me.

Symbio sounds awesome. But is it dependent on one person? It great that there is a community here but wouldn’t it be more beneficial if you added hired staff team for symbio? I am not really sure how wordpress works but Wouldn’t you need a team for debugging and updates? I know a team like that would cost money but I seriously would consider paying a monthly fee.

I have other concerns . The part I have the hard time with is licenses . I find that stuff difficult and what will I do when I get to making that page.

I think I start with these above concerns first

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Is having your own Symbiostock site dependent on one person ? Well, yes, I suppose it is but that person is the owner of the site.

I cannot understand why we would want to hire staff and what they would do? Sometimes it would be nice to have more developers to create different plug-ins for particular requirements but if I wished to do that I could always go and hire one myself.

If you have real concerns about licences you can employ a solicitor to draw one up for you, otherwise you can create your own as the rest of us have done, there are a few templates floating around that you can base one on. Or did you mean actually sorting out licences using the Pro. plugin?

Symbiostock is stable, free and works. Sale seem to be better for illustrators than photographers but that always seems to be the case even on the agencies, it just means photographers have to try harder.

If you are on the fence then it might not be for you, you need to have a “can do” attitude and realise that your success (or failure) is down to you, no one else. Everyone can do it but not everyone will do it. Although I cannot imagine why not as it gives us the ability to be independent of the agencies if we wish and we all know there are downsides as well as benefits to selling through them. The benefits are that they do the advertising and try and find customers. The downsides – well I think we all know those.

Just my opinion.

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

another option for fence sitters is to try the co-op — you just upload your images and don’t need to worry about the hosting, tech support, etc
    http://symbiostock-network.com/

there’s a WP tool to export a site then import it to an other host, so in theory you could move your co-op site to your own hosting later. i’ll be testing this soon

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I am taking a wild guess, but I suspect that you have a general concern about whether you’ll end up in over your head, and the specific issues are just a way of crystalizing that worry about unknowns ahead. In other words, answering questions about licenses may not make you feel any more certain about starting a site 🙂

Speaking from my own experience (I started my site at the beginning of September 2013) I had kept an eye on the project for a while and deep down would have preferred not to undertake the work to start an agency if I didn’t have to. I had minimal WordPress experience, had seen some of the issues with the WarmPicture project (a KTools site operated by Dan Padovana as a collective/artist run agency) – it’s a lot of work, am fairly technical but know nothing about SEO, etc.

I think what made me decide to jump in was some shenanigans from one of the agencies – it’s hard to remember which one as there have been so many! – I figured that even with a lot of unknowns, it had to be better than just putting up with all that rubbish. Things are much further ahead now than they were then (but even then a ton of stuff was finished and working); I have all the sources should I need to fix (or have someone else fix) something that comes up, so the perceived risk of no paid staff doesn’t seem to me to be an actual risk.

I’ve made a few sales, I have learned a ton about SEO and WordPress, Google, etc. and I am still uploading files (new files come straight here but I have only a portion of my existing portfolio uploaded so far).

I did make my own licenses using the template that one of the smaller agencies offered as a starter. I’m not entirely sure why some people are so worried about having plain English licenses that make it clear in words any buyer can understand what it is they’re paying for.

Here’s the thread with links to things you might want to start with

viewtopic.php?p=1223#p1223

Good luck deciding!

Profile photo of Simply
    Simply
    Participant

Thanks Christine & JoAnnSnover & cascoly for taking the time to respond to me 🙂 .

I really want to do this and your responses helped. I have been preparing a logo, editing photos and have some written content.

Christine – One of my concerns was how would I create a license a agreement.

JoAnnSnove – I do keeping filling my head with doubt because I am worried this might be too much. I read over the link you provided.

Christine & JoAnnSnover could I use your License Agreements as a template? I am not sure which one I want to use yet. I would like your permission please. I will edit and make changes.

cascoly – I think I will try to do this myself. I want to learn more about WordPress. Thanks for the offer.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Hi!

A few of us contributed to a block of marketing copy about Symbiostock, which you’re free to use and modify as you wish:

http://vector999.com/symbiostock/

You can use my standard license language, which is pretty simple. Perhaps others can share extended license language.

Also, if you read through my blog, I’ve written some helpful tips about marketing your site (probably the last thing you’ll do, after putting your site together): http://vector999.com/blog

-Michele

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

@simply wrote:

Thanks Christine & JoAnnSnover & cascoly for taking the time to respond to me 🙂 .

Christine & JoAnnSnover could I use your License Agreements as a template? I am not sure which one I want to use yet. I would like your permission please. I will edit and make changes.

You’re welcome to use mine as a template – you’ll have to remove the editorial use only graphic (that has part of my logo in it) and edit the places my name or site are used and replace with your own.

Profile photo of KimsCreativeHub
    KimsCreativeHub
    Participant

Thanks to cascoly I got off the fence and took the PLUNGE! He has been super and I’ve been able to focus on the fun details and not get bogged down with the tech stuff 😉

My Very Best 🙂
    KimsCreativeHub.com

Profile photo of Simply
    Simply
    Participant

Thanks shelma1 for providing the about SY info. I will use it. I also took a look at the blog. That’s so helpful thank you.

JoAnnSnover Thank you again 🙂 I really appreciate it.

I noticed that many of the members have a Privacy Policy. Can someone please offer that I use theirs as a template?

This is truly awesome the content you guys are offering makes things so much easier.THANK YOU

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

use what you like from mine –http://cascoly.com/privacy.htm looking at it I realize it hasn’t been updated for some time, since it still refers to mailing addresses back in the days when we mailed actual program disks to customers

in fact, we don’t collect any information about customers anymore

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I had found a site online that would make a boilerplate privacy policy and then I edited what it produced

Not sure if this was the one – there are several

http://www.generateprivacypolicy.com/

You’re welcome to copy and edit mine if you prefer

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

Simply, you are also welcome to “borrow” any of my language (end user license agreement, privacy policy, etc.) if you find something on my site that you like: http://bestnaturestock.com/

Kim, so glad to hear you took the plunge!

Profile photo of KimsCreativeHub
    KimsCreativeHub
    Participant

Thanks marthamarks! I now need to work on my logo, I have my catchy name and I need to populate my yost SEO stuff.

I really like the community and strength in numbers that sym encourages.

I also want thank all of you for your generosity in sharing your setting up goodies!

My Very Best 🙂
    KimsCreativeHub.com

Profile photo of Simply
    Simply
    Participant

cascoly & JoAnnSnover & marthamarks Thank you so much !!

I agree with Kim the generosity is awesome in here!

Profile photo of dp69_2001
    dp69_2001
    Participant

@simply wrote:

cascoly & JoAnnSnover & marthamarks Thank you so much !!

I agree with Kim the generosity is awesome in here!

Symbiostock is a great place to be 🙂 The people here are extremely helpful, knowledgeable and friendly individuals on the internet.

In response to your first question though, in reality it isn’t dependent on one person. Symbiostock is open source. I’m sure you’ll have no trouble getting your site moving but, in case you do need help down the line. Making changes and developing the site to fit your needs is just part of … Well, it’s part of being online and it won’t be too much trouble in WordPress with Symbiostock.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.