Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Hey gang, there has been a lot of talk about the magnifier or zoom and I am not sure what the latest is on this.

I am all for this feature, can anyone update me on where we are with this?

Beers on me. Cheers.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

No one? 🙂

Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

Right now nothing has changed AFAIK.

I’ve dropped SYXtra and am (reluctantly) living with the click to preview. I think that could become hover preview reasonably easily, but Leo never elaborated on why modal was important – probably ’cause he’s busy elsewhere.

We’ve never had a full-size-zoom (to see a portion of the image at full size) and I think that’d be a huge asset. There are a couple of WP add ons that do this (the good ones all cost something and would need to be integrated; plus we’d have to be careful it didn’t become easy to lift the full size image without paying for it).

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

@jsnover wrote:

Right now nothing has changed AFAIK.

I’ve dropped SYXtra and am (reluctantly) living with the click to preview. I think that could become hover preview reasonably easily, but Leo never elaborated on why modal was important – probably ’cause he’s busy elsewhere.

We’ve never had a full-size-zoom (to see a portion of the image at full size) and I think that’d be a huge asset. There are a couple of WP add ons that do this (the good ones all cost something and would need to be integrated; plus we’d have to be careful it didn’t become easy to lift the full size image without paying for it).

Agree: I think a 1:1 zoom would be great to have. We don’t have the reputation a good agent might have/earned with buyers. So a little quality reassurance could help our sales a lot. However, to implement such feature that is reasonably save at the same time might prove to be complicated.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

If for now at least we can get an auto preview that doesnt require clicks, that would be great. If it could function as the one on Shutterstock, that would be great.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@Imago Borealis wrote:

Agree: I think a 1:1 zoom would be great to have. We don’t have the reputation a good agent might have/earned with buyers. So a little quality reassurance could help our sales a lot.

I agree 100%. And it’s especially important for those of us who sell wildlife images. As you know, 90% of the value of such an image depends on whether the critter’s eye is sharp and has a good catch light. Dull, out-of-focus eyes are the kiss of death for a wildlife photo.

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to see such details very well at our current on-screen resolution.

And I’m finding an extra problem in that my watermark often falls across the bird’s or critter’s eye. I’ve been writing additional comments in the descriptions of those images to assure buyers that the eye is sharp, has a good catch light, etc. But it sure would be nice if they could see those details via a 100% magnification zoom tool.

I’m going to keep searching for a WP plugin that might accomplish that. Will share the news if I find it.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I hadn’t realized this before (but I don’t think it’s new) – the excellent Global search engine has a very nice hover preview for images

http://www.symbiostock.info/index2.php?search_item=sunny&search_order=1

I notice that the preview is not part of Andrzej own site (http://ajotte.com/) which I find surprising, but if the preview works for search, couldn’t we (please Andrzej?) use it for our sites as well?

Profile photo of Matt
    Matt
    Participant

Zoom is a low priority for me.

I happy with the theme as it is and would rather see the final touches like the ‘search results’ and ‘CSV data for search engines’ fixed and see Leo have a long deserved break from development.

Zoom IMO should be a third party initiative.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Maybe not zoom, I worded it wrong, I mean a mouse over preview, one like Shutterstock. I miss that. I dont care who develops it, I just cant, otherwise I would.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

I would really like that too.

It may not be important for some kind of work, but for wildlife photography (where showing off a critter’s sharp-sharp eyes is all important) it really is.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Bump. If I could develop it, I would. Can someone work on the code from Art Plrang and make it work?

Profile photo of StockCube
    StockCube
    Participant

bumpity bump….
    anyone?

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

While I’m developing a new version of Symbiostock, I’ll see if I can’t upgrade the present version with this feature. Keep tuned 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.