Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Hey guys, just checking in to give you progress on the new Symbiostock.

– Huge, huge focus is being given to presentation. Already great progress has been made – and now we have a fully functioning mega-menu system. This will come in very handy not only for presentation (since your menus can also hold images and call-to-actions) but for many of you who have many categories – its now an easy find for customers.

– Another gigantic focus, though it might not seem hugely relevant, is typography and design. This one is vastly superior already.

– All options are kept in one area – virtually every part of the site is easily customizatable through attractive admin menus.

– Since the complexity of the system is being reduced, I’ve been able to give more attention to these finer details.

– Next on the agenda is the “portfolio” aspect of Symbiostock. A photographer or illustrator should have a portfolio-related site – Symbiostock doesn’t do this very well – its more of a search engine. But now you can “wow” people with presentation this way too.

– There is a light theme, a dark theme (plus there will be a few more) and both will be customizable without a child theme. Although a child theme is not needed, you can still use one.

This version is lightning fast and will remain that way.

Once I have the main elements of the new version established, I’ll post screenshots like the first thread that got this started.

Profile photo of shotupdave
    shotupdave
    Participant

thank you

Profile photo of THPStock
    THPStock
    Participant

Good news! Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing more 🙂

View my portfolio at THPStock Direct via Microstock Man. I also do Web Design & Graphic Design.

Profile photo of simi
    simi
    Participant

Awesome … very excited to see new Symbiostock 🙂

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Hello everyone

Every so often I’ll post an update on progress.

More progress has been made on visuals and the menu system. For the sake of those professionals who have a following on their work, this new version is compatible with wordpress forum and buddypress plugins. This will allow for your audience to communicate with you on site and follow your work. It was something I had intended with the original version but was unable to complete.

Besides that the cart system is functioning quite well with attractive widgets and such.

Profile photo of EggHeadStock
    EggHeadStock
    Participant

Let me know when you need something to be tested. I can replicate my site to a test environment.

–Elian

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Will do – I am making significant weekly progress. Unlike the first version which had a prototype cracked out in two months, this one is much more refined and broad – I will greatly appreciate any tester’s efforts in the first releases.

Profile photo of rolfo
    rolfo
    Participant

I would like to do some beta testing too if needed 🙂

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Lots of progress has been made. As mentioned, emphasis is largely on appearance this time around. Today I’ll be finishing up the home page system – very nice and modern.

Progress continues.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I think something we really need to generate more sales is a better (larger) presentation of our work. We need to make an impression.
    Right now the image pages are too cluttered and the main product is simply too small (and not really sharp).
    Just take a look at offset, flickr, smugmug or 500px to get an idea what I’m talking about.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@redneck wrote:

I think something we really need to generate more sales is a better (larger) presentation of our work. We need to make an impression.
    Right now the image pages are too cluttered and the main product is simply too small (and not really sharp).
    Just take a look at offset, flickr, smugmug or 500px to get an idea what I’m talking about.

You are 100% correct on this. Some criticism of symbiostock stated before that its simply not “good looking” enough. I think it was “bunhill” who more plainly stated “I have yet to see a Symbiostock site which actually looks good”. I wouldn’t say they are ugly, but I get the point.

I’ve made mountains of progress primarily on the visual aspect of it. I’m getting to ready to release the first part of the framework under a different name, thus allowing it’s first phase of development to happen outside of the Symbiostock community. This version is for academic professionals to present their writing in a visually attractive manner.

After this it will be a fairly small feat to reimplement the bulk uploading, license, and networking.

Progress has been pretty good, so this is another update.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Cool. Looking forward to see it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.