Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dp69_2001
    dp69_2001
    Participant

I was sitting around (like a loser not drawing new stuff) and got to wondering if about my site visibility. After toying around in webmaster for a bit, I realized that I’d never set up my metadata for 1dollarimages! (besides the title obviously, wordpress puts that in automatically) I almost smacked my own face. One of the most important things for search visibility is metadata, especially where many of our sites have hundreds, some even thousands of potential unique keyword appearances! That’s a lot of content …

Originally, I thought it’d be nice to have a few keywords hard coded, (royalty free, vector, clip art etc) and then pull the rest off of the specific image page. But, I’m not sure how you’d do that (php I’m sure). It’d probably mess with your posts and pages that didn’t have symbiostock keywords also? I’m not sure. Anyhow I added

1dollarimages | Affordable images and vectors direct from the artist

to mine. I thought I’d post here because I’m sure that there are quite a few people who haven’t, also hopefully it doesn’t mess with symbiostocks keywording and whatever… :/

Also, the search engine Symbiostock.info (where people go to search for our images) has wouldn’t we be better off with keywords directly relating to the content? For instance “stock images” is a pretty heavily searched term, even if it’s not as heavily searched as “clip art” it would be more relative maybe? Thoughts and opinions below …

dp69_2001
    Participant

Shutterstock (probably the micro with the most web traffic) uses

dp69_2001
    Participant

Having a conversation with myself but, apparently keyword meta has been abandoned since long before I ever had a site. http://readytorundesigns.com/seo-the-importance-of-meta-tags/

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Hi there,

Not to interrupt the conversation with yourself 😀 Symbiostock uses the necessary meta-data on page. It uses the more modern standard of “semantic markup” which is more useful to search engines. If you run a test via google’s semantic markup tester, you’ll find you score quite high. We also use another system of meta-data “dublin core” which you will find floating around your site meta as well.

The reason the traditional stuff you mention is not used anymore, as you’ve begun to see, is that those metadata systems were abandoned only years after they took root – for the simple fact that they are selfishly exploited.

Google uses a lot of statistical algorithms to judge your categories of relevance, and a lot of off-site signals to determine your rank.

Even this stuff is becoming less useful as well, since the tides are turning toward social networks, and most traditional SEO is fading away.

Still, Symbiostock keeps a strong presence as much as it can, and is superior to a lot of the other packages, even the ones that tend to boast SEO.

Profile photo of marquix
    marquix
    Participant

very god job, @imported_leo! An absolute newbie to Symbiostock (hey, seriously, what took me so long to find it?!), it is pretty obvious to me that you really have the latest stuff incorporated here and are swimming at the front of the tide.

Again, thanks a million.

AP/V camera guy; view this, if you're a drone video nerd, too..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.