Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Russell
    Russell
    Participant

WP 3.7
    Symbio 2.9.3 (–>2.9.4 just now)
    Dragonfly Child Theme
    PHP 5.3 (Single)

All upgraded yesterday.

The initial attempt to upgrade from 2.6.x failed because of an error with a php file concerned with SEO. So I deleted the containing directory via my cPanel and that allowed the installation to go ahead. Everything was done as per instructions, making sure that the necessary plugins were deleted before being reinstalled by the new theme.

Firstly, I have no way of editing CSS. I asked how to edit CSS in a thread in the Site Modification sub-forum and established that the CSS editor option in the Appearance menu is missing from my WP Dashboard. I can activate the Jetpack CSS Editor but I can’t edit Child Theme or Symbio Theme CSS with that.

Secondly, if I look at my Media Llibrary, none of my on-sale images show thumbnails. Images that I’ve uploaded separately for slideshows, blog entries, logos and watermarks do have thumbnails though. The on-sale images are definitely accessible because if I click on Edit, I can see them. Also, they are available via the Symbio Stock Images Menu for editing.

Thirdly, a recurrence of my email problem. Basically, my email again appears to come from myserveraddress@justhostmailservers rather than “russell@stockphotology.com” – my email account is not set up on JustHost but with who I bought the domain name from. Steve (Cascoly) and Leo tweaked something that fixed it when I set things up in June/July, possibly when they were working out why I wasn’t being networked.

So, any thoughts/ideas/solutions so that I can at least edit my CSS please?

The image issue isn’t such a problem although it would be better if it was sorted.

And can Steve/Leo remember what they tweaked that fixed my email problem?

Hope someone can help.

Russell

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

have you checked the email under sym/settings ??

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

It isn’t a fix for the problem in your interface not showing the Edit item, but you can easily edit your style.css file without the interface. From your site you can grab a copy of styles.css in the dragonfly directory (using whatever FTP client you work with). Keep a copy of the unedited version and then make your edits in any text editor (I use TextWrangler on the Mac, but anything will do).

On my system, this is the file:

http://www.digitalbristles.com/wp-content/themes/symbiostock-dragonfly/style.css

After you edit the file, copy the new version back up to the site and refresh the page you were editing to see the changes.

It’s slightly less smooth, but works just fine.

Profile photo of Russell
    Russell
    Participant

@cascoly wrote:

have you checked the email under sym/settings ??

Yes Steve I have. I also have the “WP Mail from” plugin. After the initial problem, it’s been fine until I upgraded yesterday. Might it be a WP or PHP issue rather than a Symbio one?

And thanks for that suggestion Jo Ann. I’ll investigate that next week.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

sometimes plugins react weirdly to an update — trying deactivating/activating the plugins

Profile photo of Russell
    Russell
    Participant

The email problem is because I updated PHP to 5.3. I need to edit my php.ini file. I managed to find an exchange Christine & I had on MSG when it happened last time (sorry, I mistakenly thought Cascoly and Leo fixed it behind the scenes). So thanks to Christine again…

But I’d be extremely grateful if anyone could lend a hand in getting thumbnails back in my Media Library and more importantly, how to get the CSS Editor installed.

Whilst Jo Ann’s helpful suggestion will work, I’d prefer it if my installation was as complete as everyone’s else’s.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Would reprocessing replace your thumbnails – All Images, Bulk Edit-Reprocess. Your thumbnails do show up so they must be somewhere ? Are your watermarked images showing up in the media library?

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of Russell
    Russell
    Participant

I uploaded a new watermark and bulk processed them all yesterday but the thumbnails are still missing in the Media Library. They’re visible under the “Stock Images” menu item.

I’ve checked and any images I’ve uploaded as logos, or specifically sized for a slideshow or for blog use show up as thumbnails. So it’s only images that have gone through the Symbio image uploader (and their Minipics) that don’t show up.

Profile photo of Russell
    Russell
    Participant

With the help of Christine (yet again!), the Appearance > Editor problem is fixed.

It turns out it was the WP Security plugin not allowing php file edits. It’s just a checkbox in the WP Security Settings.

It’s always a plugin isn’t it?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.