Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ezeepics
    Ezeepics
    Participant

Hello Leo, I need to know if it’s possible to develop a Symbiostock script which works with remote images. I was thinking that keep entire portfolios in cloud on Bluehost or other providers is not so safe, portfolios are our capitals, if something happens and a hacker attacks our servers and take all our original images it would be a disaster. That’s why I was thinking to this script, in order to keep our Symbio sites on Bluehost but have only the original images on a secure server in our house or other location. Because is not possible to crypt images, you can crypt the php files responsible for remote request of the images and these files will send requests to the computer where the images are located when an image is sold. In this way on Bluehost server will remain only the small resolution images – the thumbnails.
    Please tell me you can do this. 🙂

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Not sure how having a server in your house is more secure than Bluehost, but if it is, why not host your whole site there and avoid having to make changes to Symbiostock?

I honestly think of all the things we currently need to worry about, having our portfolios stolen from the server is pretty low on the list. Has there been some hacking attempt at Bluehost I am not aware of?

Ezeepics
    Participant

Can happen, of course can happen. This will not modify Symbiostock, it can be just optional. Never have trust in clouds and internet, all the stuff is going out in internet must be monitorized very attently. I asked to Bluehost assistance if they can guarantee me at 100% that an attack cannot happen and they answer me that they cannot give this guarantee. I have installed on my sites another security service professional but a security service only can allert you that someone is trying to hack your site; if the hacker is enough good is doing the work in minutes. I think this is important in order to keep safe our images.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Even IF somehow hacks into a Bluehost server, I think a bunch of pictures would be the least of his interest. And I agree with JoAnn. If you think your home is safer, then setup a web server at home and host your entire Symbiostock environment there.

Ezeepics
    Participant

I really don’t understand you, than we ask how come and from where our images arrives on sites like this one http://www.gfxtra.com

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Generally these sites aren’t hacking. They are someone buying a Shutterstock subscription, downloading a ton of stuff and then putting it on a torrent site.

A couple of years back there was one of these sites that advertised that they’d get you an image from Shutterstock if you gave them the image number. I don’t remember if they were even charging for it. Pretty brazen.

You can’t stop pirates from redistributing content they acquired legally – they violate the license terms but they’re in other countries and they know that legal pursuit is so costly and difficult that no one will come after them. They may lose their Shutterstock subscription if they get caught but they’ll get another one.

I’m not saying this blatant theft of our images is OK, just that you can’t solve it by hosting files in your home.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.