Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of scenicoregon
    scenicoregon
    Participant

New to Symbiostock. Just about done setting up my site. Many of my processed images show 0 (zero) for size on the full-size line. They can be purchased and delivered at full size, but obviously customers are going to know what they are purchasing. I’ve tried reprocessing, didn’t help. It won’t let me edit the size, how do I fix these?

All but one of my images remain as drafts until I get this worked out, the one I’ve got published does exhibit the problem, if you want to see for yourself:
    http://www.scenicoregon.com/webpics2

To any who can help-
    Thanks

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

you’re on v2.5.5 which is very old in symbio terms, so it could be any number of things

what is the actual size of the image? what differences are there between images that show 0 and those that don’t? dimensions in MP? file size in Mb?

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Hi and welcome
    Same answer as yesterday. What size is your image , medium shows up as 1000 x 1000, would normally be at least 3000

I am guessing it is not big enough to have a large size

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

I just tried uploading some smaller images, and that doesn’t explain the 0 – but it uncovered another problem: when published, large is defined as the original image when the image is 1100 x 1563

Bloggee jpg 2.44″ × 3.47″ @ 72 dpi
    176 × 250px 1.00
    Small jpg 4.89″ × 6.94″ @ 72 dpi
    352 × 500px 4.00
    Medium jpg 9.78″ × 13.89″ @ 72 dpi
    704 × 1000px 6.00
    Large jpg 3.67″ × 5.21″ @ 300 dpi
    1100 × 1563px 10.00

but when I upload an even smaller image – 461 x 346 it gets really weird:

Bloggee jpg 3.47″ × 2.61″ @ 72 dpi
    250 × 188px 1.00
    Small jpg 6.94″ × 5.21″ @ 72 dpi
    500 × 375px 4.00
    Medium jpg 13.89″ × 10.43″ @ 72 dpi
    1000 × 751px 6.00
    Large jpg 6.4″ × 4.81″ @ 72 dpi
    461 × 346px 10.00

Profile photo of ShazamImages
    ShazamImages
    Participant

@cascoly wrote:

when I upload an even smaller image – 461 x 346 it gets really weird:

Bloggee jpg 3.47″ × 2.61″ @ 72 dpi
    250 × 188px 1.00
    Small jpg 6.94″ × 5.21″ @ 72 dpi
    500 × 375px 4.00
    Medium jpg 13.89″ × 10.43″ @ 72 dpi
    1000 × 751px 6.00
    Large jpg 6.4″ × 4.81″ @ 72 dpi
    461 × 346px 10.00

Don’t some agencies charge extra for upsizing images? 🙂

scenicoregon
    Participant

In response to cascoly and Christine:
    1. v2.5.5 being really old– OK, I downloaded it maybe 2 months ago, thought I was getting the most current one, got it off the Symbiostock site. Perhaps I should update. However, I’ve got over 160 images sitting as drafts, mostly ready to go except for this large showing as 0 pixels problem, and a post I read seemed to indicate that if you update your drafts may disappear, so I’d lose hours and hours of work. Your experience with updating?

2. I’ve seen no pattern to the images that show as 0 size. Some are a bit over 3000 pixels, this one is a bit over 2000, a handful are only 640. I also have several of each size that processed correctly, even the 640 size ones correctly showing 640 as the largest size.

3. At this point no solution has been offered, no fix. I’d really like to hear from someone that can offer a fix. Does anyone know where the data that populates the pricing table for each picture is stored, and in what format? Maybe I can just alter the data to correct it.

Thanks for any help offered

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

I’ve never lost any drafts when I updated ….

so your choices are to publish then update, or update then publish

if you backup before updating you can always move back to the previous version

activate some generic theme
    just rename your current symbiostock folde to symbioXXX
    install the new one
    if that doesn’t work, then delete the symbio folde and rename the vold foler back to symbiostock & activate

the db is separate from the theme, so anything you do there will remain

scenicoregon
    Participant

OK, I went to Symbiostock.com, clicked on the Updates tab, and the highest update is 2.50. That didn’t make sense to me, so I went back to the home page and there is a download for 2.82. I renamed my old symbiostock folder, put this one in, and checked in WordPress. It wanted some required plugins which I installed. Now, when I check the image I’ve published (all of the others remain as drafts), it still shows the problem of showing 0 as full size, and now has the additional problem of showing my default large price on the download button, instead of the edited price. (Note: after a bit of testing, I find I can get the download price on the button to change by selecting a different size then going back to the large)

The original problem remains, on this image and many others in draft of many different large and small sizes (from 640 to over 5000 px on the long side), the large image size is displayed as 0 on the pricing table.

I’d sure like it if Leo or someone who perhaps has seen and solved this problem could offer some help. Where is the data found, maybe I can change it manually?

scenicoregon
    Participant

UPDATE AND NEW PROBLEM:
    First, I’ve added a few images showing various sizes and apparently no size-related pattern to the problem (all in image category Oregon, to find them easily):
    Morpho Butterfly shows size 0 even though it is 2120 (and 414kb)
    Bridal Veil Falls shows size 0 even though it is 640 (76.3kb)
    Wizard Island on Crater Lake shows proper large size 640 (44.4kb)
    Yaquina Head Lighthouse shows size 0 even though it is 3600 (1.47mb)
    Proposal Rock by Moonlight shows proper size of 3008 (890kb)
    Still looking for a solution to this problem.

NEW PROBLEM: With the installation of Symbiostock 2.82, a new problem developed (or perhaps this only became apparent when I added more than one image): The download button does not always show the amount for the image selected. For example, if I select a size on an image that is $10.00, then go to another image and select a $30.00 size, the download button will now say $40.00. It is adding the amounts of all previous images selected, as if it were adding them up in a cart, but I am only navigating between pictures and clicking on sizes. If this is how it is supposed to work (say for downloading multiple images at once), how do you unselect something you’ve clicked on? Do you have to go to the cart and delete it?

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

Just guessing: Your 0pix problem might be related to your watermark. The theme is extremely sensible to watermarks that do not exactly match the correct size. Definitely worth checking…

Your NEW PROBLEM is known and has been discussed. I think Leo has it on his To-Do-List.

Christine
    Participant

Selecting an image puts it in the cart – this is a known issue. You can change the text on the button if you wish

If you like, email me one of your images and I will try it on my site to see if I can duplicate your issues, although I suspect it is a size problem as your images do look on the small size from the details you have shown.

If you do not mind my asking, are you new to stock photography, are your images on any of the stock sites ? Not that this is a problem, just that it might give us more of an idea of the questions to ask to try and help sort your problems out.

scenicoregon
    Participant

The water mark is 522×522, just as indicated on the Symbio guide site:

http://www.symbioguides.com/knowledgebase/branding-templates/

Yes, new to stock photography, this is my first foray into it, am using Symbiostock exclusively.

Christine
    Participant

Okay, that helps. It is not a requirement but most of us, with perhaps one or two exceptions have “learned our trade” with various stock agencies and then come into Symbiostock.

If you were submitting to stock sites they all have minimum sizes, some are, say 2,400 pixels along the shortest edge. This is so that clients can use the images for multiple uses, not just online – they may be for billboards or large posts so the larger the original image the better. With a few exceptions they do not upsize (introduces problems such as artifacts) so the size up upload is always the largest available.

With the more modern dslr cameras the native size is much bigger than the minimum – 4000 or 5000+ pixels along the shortest size and at the highest quality (always upload only the highest quality, sharply in focus images) these are big files which easily fill the four sizes available.

I still feel your image size/saved quality, might be the issue as even the larger ones show 72 instead of 300 dpi and my offer stands if you wish to send me one of your images I will try uploading it to see what happens.

scenicoregon
    Participant

Christine- I sent you an email via the forum, however I don’t see anyway via the forum email to attach any files, so I think you’ll have to reply via regular email and I can send you the pics then.

Most of the very small images (640) were originally 3600px (long side) scans of film transparencies, but somewhere along the line the original higher resolution scans were lost and all I have are the sizes I was using in my original web galleries from about 12 years ago. I was thinking of having the transparencies (mostly 35mm, a few from a 4″x5″ view camera) rescanned once I get the site up and running, and maybe making a few dollars. Most of my images I have in drafts are 3008px long side and are from a 6mp digital SLR (old, now days), and I have just a few images that are higher rez than that.

The 72dpi displayed on the pricing table is just what Symbiostock is arbitrarily assigning– that would be screen rez. I’ve never seen any setting in Symbiostock to alter that. If that is somewhere in the IPTC data or maybe EXIF perhaps I can edit it, but that’ll mean re-uploading every image. DPI is pretty arbitrary anyway– it is really just a printer setting, has nothing to do with the actual resolution of the image, or put another way, I can have an image that is say 1000 px on the long edge, and if I print it at 72dpi it’ll end up almost 14″ long (13.89), but not look all that great– you’ll see the pixels– or I can print it at 300dpi and it’ll look a lot better and sharper (because it’ll have a bit over 4x as many pixels along every linear inch) , but’ it’ll only be 3 1/3 inches long. Same resolution on the original image, just different printer settings. I worked many years in the photoprocessing industry, and also doing digital restorations of historic images.

In short, I know that higher-rez images made with modern cameras are much preferable for the reasons you gave, but I also know that most web images are much lower rez, which is why they even show up in the pricing table. I’ve got some images that I know you wouldn’t want to print very large but would display very nicely at web resolutions, so I’m including those.

I’m going to try re-uploading one of these problematic images, and see if maybe something has changes that’ll clear up the problem.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

for anyone considering scanning slides – I’ve had excellent experiences with scancafe – you send your images to india, they scan to your specs and put samples online; you only pay for the ones you like, then your slides are returned with a DVD

costs about $.30 per slide – I’ve had about 2000 slides scanned and most are accepted by the agencies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.