Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I have a batch of 8 images I took on my iPhone that don’t get processed. Actually the batch had 12 images. 4 were processed, 8 not. When I start the “processing” one empty image appears in the “Draft” section which I can only delete. By “empty” I mean caption, title and keywords seem to be o.k. but there’s no image preview. I tried to delete the process queue and upload these 8 again but with no success either.
    I’m wondering if the problem has anything to do with the fact that I took these on my iPhone since I’ve never had this error with DSLR images before.

Any ideas?

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

Check for unusual characters, additional ‘. ‘ (periods), apostrophs, etc in file names. Whenever I had processing issues it boiled down to a file name that the imagemagick processor seemingly couldn’t handle.

Profile photo of EggHeadStock
    EggHeadStock
    Participant

The times I had this was because of – How shall I call it? – ‘faulty spaces’ in the title or description. They looked like ordinary spaces but were a special character that was not shown. Maybe they were “hard returns” that I used to format the title. They are sometimes hard to find. So then I just cut and paste the title in Windows Notepad to get a good overview.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Thank you guys, you saved the day.

I still couldn’t figure out what exactly caused the error but when I remove title and description (which are all different) the processing to draft will work again.

EggHeadStock
    Participant

Glad to hear 🙂

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

Perfect! – There used to be a sticky thread with a collection of things that could trip off imagick. Guess it got lost in migration 😥

Profile photo of vectorjourney
    vectorjourney
    Participant

I always get errors when I try processing more than 10 files at a time… maybe it’s my server that times out, dunno.

What I do is I upload a batch of around 30 images, than I process them in batches of 5 images at a time. it takes a little more time, but I get much less errors

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

That glitch has been around a while…I only process 5 or 6 images at a time.

Profile photo of scenicoregon
    scenicoregon
    Participant

The sticky about things that trip up ImageMagick was indeed lost in the migration. Here’s the bulk of it:

These are things that can trip up ImageMagick so that the images either won’t process, or that they process incorrectly.  Some of these affect it some of the time, some of them all of the time.
    1.  If the dpi of the jpg is set to 72, instead of the preferred 300
    2.  If the jpg is set to something other than the preferred “baseline” (doesn’t like progressive)
    3.  If the file extension is uppercase JPG instead of the preferred lowercase jpg
    4.  If there is an apostrophe ‘ in the file name
    5.  If there is a dot . in the file name other than the normal one before the extension

EggHeadStock
    Participant

About processing only a few images at a time, check your PHP server settings in the php.ini file as explained here.
    I have no problems processing more than 10 images at JustHost.

Profile photo of vectorjourney
    vectorjourney
    Participant

Tried doing the php thing but I’m not sure it worked…

Profile photo of corepics
    corepics
    Participant

I noticed that images with a file size of over 10MB are not processed properly.
    – no spaces or odd characters in the file name
    – file names are only small caps

I’ve also tried adding the php.ini snippet from the knowledge base, but this just affects when the error occurs.
    – No difference between php 5.2 or 5.4
    – With the php snippet from http://www.symbiostock.org/Help/Troubleshooting, processing images via …/edit.php?post_type=image&page=symbiostock-process-images renders an error log.
    – Without the aforementioned snippet in the php.ini file, the file preview isn’t rendered on the image editing page, and is hence also missing from the image detail page in the front end.

I also tried increasing the WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT in wp-config.php, but that doesn’t solve the issue either.

I’d like to upload some really big files, as well as keep the same workflow i currently use without having to reduce the file sizes.

Any suggestions?

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

See if this thread helps

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=103&hilit=memory

I am posting the link as it took me ages to find it so it might be useful to have it in more than one place

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of corepics
    corepics
    Participant

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the link. Hadn’t seen that one yet, but already tried that solution. Unfortunately, to no avail. I gave it another go, using your edited settings, but it still doesn’t work. (getting the error log).

Could it be the php version I’m using? Or any other server side settings which are available at the Bluehost cPanel?

I’d rather see if I can find a solution myself, to increase my understanding, than give Bluehost a call, although that would apparently be the quickest solution.

Thanks,

Hugo

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

And you are using ImageMagick (check on the Processing Images page and it will say up at the top; it’ll say GD if it isn’t)?

You need to increase the memory limit in the PhP.ini file, not the wp-config.php

I have files over 35MB uploaded without a problem with memory_limit set to 128M, max_execution_time and max_input_time set to 120 (I think those were the only changes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.