Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of scenicoregon
    scenicoregon
    Participant

I’ve noticed that on some of my images, and most noticeably on this one
    http://scenicoregon.com/webpics2/image/mermaids-at-rockaway-beach/
    that the automatic image preview creates a blurry preview. To get an idea of how sharp this image really is, just look at my header image– I use a portion of the same image in that, and it is nice and sharp. It makes it harder to sell images if the preview is blurry– any way to fix that?

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I can see the issue, but have no idea why it occurs on some photos. I’ve done a spot check on my own site and see no signs of any problems there. Any idea which images result in the problem – ie one particular batch, or a few images within a batch?

Steve

scenicoregon
    Participant

I haven’t found any pattern yet, other than it seems to do with the image itself– color, contrast– rather than being a part of a batch. I really think it has something to do with the compression.

So…how to fix? If I can find the preview image itself, perhaps I could replace it with a better version– maybe there’s a full-sized watermarked version, or I could manually add a watermark to a properly sized preview and replace the normal preview image with it? Any info along those lines would help.

BTW I double-checked my original to be sure I hadn’t just sharpened it for the header, and have confirmed that the original is nice and sharp, too. Just the preview is blurry.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@scenicoregon wrote:

I’ve noticed that on some of my images, and most noticeably on this one
    http://scenicoregon.com/webpics2/image/mermaids-at-rockaway-beach/
    that the automatic image preview creates a blurry preview. To get an idea of how sharp this image really is, just look at my header image– I use a portion of the same image in that, and it is nice and sharp. It makes it harder to sell images if the preview is blurry– any way to fix that?

If you right click the product preview and view it by itself in the browser, does it still show as blury? If so it might be your browser resizing it.

scenicoregon
    Participant

Still blurry if I view just the image, or if I right click and download it, then view it in a graphics program, still blurry. Got an idea for a work-around?

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@scenicoregon wrote:

Still blurry if I view just the image, or if I right click and download it, then view it in a graphics program, still blurry. Got an idea for a work-around?

I think the default workaround for most issues will be the improved system in the making, which uses improved image processing.

scenicoregon
    Participant

Here’s what I did to work around the problem for this image.
    First, I located the preview image in the directory, and used that as a reference what to name the file I was going to create and what size to make it. Then I took my full size original, resized it, manually applied the watermark (took some liberty while doing that to improve the positioning of the watermark on this particular image), then replaced the preview image in the directory. After deleting the image from the cache, the page now displays with the new preview, and the blurring is much reduced, any remaining blurring now due to just a reduction in resolution.
    That’ll hold me until I’m on line with the new Symbiostock.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.