Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

This is a strange one ….

When I upload images, some of them have a description attached in the file. Sometimes this description is incorrect. I correct it in the Edit File area, but if I look at the “All Images” area in the description it retains the old description and not the corrected one.
    Is this normal behaviour? Is there any way to correct it?

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

There are a few places for descriptions. If you view the “All Images” master list you probably have a Description field in addition to others (the fields that show can be turned on and off in the Screen Options at the top right of this portion of the dashboard)

If you go into the full Edit mode for your image, that description is pulling from the Excerpt field way down at the bottom of the page. I believe it’s reading from your original description from your upload. You may have to click on the little triangle to show the text box you can edit. This is the text you need to change if you change the description in your All Images view.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

FWIW, the excerpt that you see in All images isn’t ever seen by a customer, so you can leave it alone if you don’t want to copy and paste

Profile photo of Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

@joannsnover wrote:

FWIW, the excerpt that you see in All images isn’t ever seen by a customer, so you can leave it alone if you don’t want to copy and paste

Thanks for that JoAnn, that was exactly what it was. Isn’t it used in the browser referencing?

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

I think the only place it would be visible to others if in the RSS feed if you change your settings to “summary” mode. This is from the WP Codex: It replaces the full content in RSS feeds when the option to display summaries is selected in Dashboard › Settings › Reading.

I checked mine and it has Full Content checked. I don’t recall ever changing that so it’s probably the default.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

right, the desc field doesn’t update properly — the item desc changes but yoast doesn’t notice unless you also edit the ‘excerpt’ at the bottom. this means the meta desc for yoast still has the old text – but the ‘Dublin core’ meta has the edited version

Profile photo of Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

Thanks guys, good to know. I am making sure the excerpt is changed now to reflect what is in the description of the file. At least things should be relatively uniform now.

I think the only place it would be visible to others if in the RSS feed if you change your settings to “summary” mode. This is from the WP Codex: It replaces the full content in RSS feeds when the option to display summaries is selected in Dashboard › Settings › Reading.

I checked mine and it has Full Content checked. I don’t recall ever changing that so it’s probably the default.

I will have to check that … so many little things I am learning 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.