Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of djpadavona
    djpadavona
    Participant

When I originally installed SY I kept image comments “on”, but the end result has been a deluge of spam. So while I want to keep comments On for blog posts, I want to turn them Off for Images. I see from the Author Options page that –

Image Comments
    Applied during processing. Must manually change afterward.

However when I click on Edit for any image, I don’t see an option for disabling comments. I’m probably overlooking something, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. There are approximately 380 images which I need to turn comments Off for – is there a way to make a bulk change?

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

Have you tried the Anti-Captcha plugin? Somebody recommended it a long time back, and many of us use it.

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

On the Author tab, Just set it on disabled and then update all images. Update ALL existing images with new values? Caution!

It will apply all other settings as well though.

Profile photo of pixelsonthego
    pixelsonthego
    Participant

Dan if I correctly understand your request, don’t go in the edit but in quick edit option. WP-> Pages -> hover the title page in the bottom appears some option edit quick edit…. So click quick edit and here there is a radio button that allow or not comments.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

@cathyslife stockphotos wrote:

. oops you already found what I was going to say. I don’t know the answer to your question. Where’s Christine? 🙂

Me neither not for doing them in bulk anyway – I don’t know everything by a long long way 😀
    I think at one time we could do it through All images and bulk editing but not now. I leave comments turned on for my image pages in case anyone wants to comment. No one does though (I use anti-capture as well).

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

@christine wrote:

. oops you already found what I was going to say. I don’t know the answer to your question. Where’s Christine? 🙂

Me neither not for doing them in bulk anyway – I don’t know everything by a long long way 😀
    I think at one time we could do it through All images and bulk editing but not now. I leave comments turned on for my image pages in case anyone wants to comment. No one does though (I use anti-capture as well).

That’s what I was thinking so that’s where I went first and it wasn’t there.

Good tip about the Quick Edit. I keep forgetting about that. I need to make that my first stop in my workflow. 🙂

It used to be there in Quick Edit but I think when Leo set up the premium plug in it disappeared. I’ve been changing mine via the Batch Edit option but the problem there is it just shows what the default is, not what is currently set for a particular image so it’s hard to tell if I’ve turned it off on all images without going to each image.

I’m going to check out Ron’s suggestion on the Author page. That might be the solution. I’m turning mine off for the same reason Dan is – spam problems. I have Askimet catching them as spam but it’s still annoying and I’m not getting any real comments so I figure it’s just best to eliminate the option.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

@klsbear wrote:

It used to be there in Quick Edit but I think when Leo set up the premium plug in it disappeared. I’ve been changing mine via the Batch Edit option but the problem there is it just shows what the default is, not what is currently set for a particular image so it’s hard to tell if I’ve turned it off on all images without going to each image.

Thats what I said right from the start. The batch editor needs to show actual settings on an image, unless multiple images are selected with different settings, it then needs to make them grey or so, so that you know what has different values.

Same as in Excel when editing cell properties. If you select all cells with the same property, you see a cross X in the tick box, when you have different cell values it show a coloured square ?

djpadavona
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

On the Author tab, Just set it on disabled and then update all images. Update ALL existing images with new values? Caution!

It will apply all other settings as well though.

Yes, this is the correct procedure. Comments on all images are now turned off.

I have two lines of thought regarding SEO for image pages –

1) Active Comments will send a positive message to Google to rank the image page higher
    2) Additional Words on the page will reduce the Page Focus

Honestly I believe #1 is more important, but since the comments are Spam then the debate becomes moot. Thanks Ron.

djpadavona
    Participant

One word of note. If you have applied rankings to your images, they will be erased by running the above procedure. In my case it wasn’t a big deal as I only had maybe 10 to 20 images with “1st” rankings. Just be aware of this, in case you have done a lot of image ranking.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

OR – added model release status or anything else that is on some images and not others

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

You are welcome Dan !

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

@djpadavona wrote:

One word of note. If you have applied rankings to your images, they will be erased by running the above procedure. In my case it wasn’t a big deal as I only had maybe 10 to 20 images with “1st” rankings. Just be aware of this, in case you have done a lot of image ranking.

Ahhh – big light bulb here for me. I had wondered about that “warning” for updating all images because I thought it was just warning that the change you made would be applied to all images. I see now that it’s resetting ALL images to the defaults that you have it that entire section.

That may be where the batch editor comes in handy in that you can update just the comments but I lost track of which had been changed and which hadn’t been changed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.