Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

First off, just a quick thank you to JoAnnSnover for donating her cat for animal testing (Attached). Its for the greater good of humanity.

See attached images – this is more or less how previews will appear with the new version.

KennyK was particularly worried about how illustrator’s work could be easily stolen due to unwatermarked minipics. Illustrators generally make work that is iconic and recognizable/useable even on a smaller level – so there is a necessity for watermarking smaller images.

See attached —

1 – This is an improvement because the previous version of Symbiostock sacrificed sRGB and color quality when generating previews. With this version its unlikely this will be an issue for anyone who has imagick set up in their server environment.

2 – The minipics have a very slight stamp on them as well, denoting copyright. The minipics are now larger as well (200px).

Generally watermarks are used for protecting images as well as a slight amount of branding (I noticed some artists get pretty creative with the watermark).

Particularly with the minipic I’ve found it more important just to leave a slight impression on the image which is fairly hard to see – that way if someone should just swipe the image, it’s a simple matter of photoshopping to say “hey, you took this image from my site!” but we don’t want to be pounding the customers with ownership statements.

Feel free to give feedback.

Profile photo of THPStock
    THPStock
    Participant

Looks good! Really glad to see all these updates Leo, keep up the great work!

View my portfolio at THPStock Direct via Microstock Man. I also do Web Design & Graphic Design.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@thp wrote:

Looks good! Really glad to see all these updates Leo, keep up the great work!

Wow, I was just thinking about you. “THP always has something to do with these things!”

I’ll be in touch when we’re SEOing the product page 8)

Profile photo of THPStock
    THPStock
    Participant

Ha, yeah I always had something to suggest (‘harass you with’) in the early days 🙂

Look forward to the SEO awesomeness of the new Symbio 🙂

View my portfolio at THPStock Direct via Microstock Man. I also do Web Design & Graphic Design.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

@leo wrote:

First off, just a quick thank you to JoAnnSnover for donating her cat for animal testing (Attached). Its for the greater good of humanity.

This isn’t my cat – I’m donating a friend’s cat for medical experiments!! I think that means an eternity in torment 🙂 His name is Orion and he’s a bit imperious but very photogenic

I sent you e-mail with links to a very wide pano and a tall and skinny one (no animals to be harmed in either) 🙂

Larger minipics are good – if you didn’t take a look at a Shutterstock search lately (not the other agencies which don’t look as good) have a look on a widescreen monitor – it’s gorgeous. Here’s an example from an earlier post on MSG.

I would like to control the text for the copyright tag on the minipic and do like the option to have my own watermark on the preview size (I incorporate the Symbiostock logo with my own branding).

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Yep! You will be able to control the text.

Question for you pros!

What is the tipping point to say “this is a panoramic?”

1/2
    1/3?

Personally I’m happier with 1/3 or 3/1.

Please let me know.

Profile photo of dp69_2001
    dp69_2001
    Participant

@leo wrote:

Yep! You will be able to control the text.

Question for you pros!

What is the tipping point to say “this is a panoramic?”

1/2
    1/3?

Personally I’m happier with 1/3 or 3/1.

Please let me know.

If there is a way …

If we upload a square watermark, it should overlay centerish of the subject. If the photo is wide or an odd size, I’d blame it more on the watermark.

We can stretch it to fit cut it crop it deform it. But, all in all I’ve been more happy with my Symbio watermarks than any of the micro’s.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Right now, if you make your square watermark anything but tiny, you can’t design it in such a way as not to get cut off with a panorama – because of the pixel dimensions of the preview. So for this preview, at 590 x 213 pixels you get

http://www.digitalbristles.com/image/boston-waterfront-in-early-morning-sun/

I plunked my logo dead center so at least that does mostly do OK for a horizontal panorama, but look at a vertical one whose preview is 307 x 590, where the logo is cut off

http://www.digitalbristles.com/image/sunny-dandelions-in-a-meadow/

Standard ratio for out of the camera on a DSLR is 3:2; the micro 4/3 cameras are 4:3

The problem with designing a watermark for any image shape is that you don’t know what the minimum is. Right now the max is 590 on the long edge and the other edge is scaled proportionally.

I think that if you approached the watermark placement differently – possibly requiring one more png from site owners to do it – you might not have to care about ratios.

Suppose you scaled the watermark to fit the short dimension and then filled anything left over on the other edges with a background file? In my watermark, I have a very faint very small “digital bristles” that’s scattered around the edges and then the core of the logo with business name, my copyright and the brush logo.

The “background” watermark could be an X or small Xs or little symbiostock Ss by default – something simple.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.